• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Control Arm Cosmoline Coverage

archangel

Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Thanks to this forum I feel well informed on the fact that LCAs were dipped in cosmoline by the supplier. Also well informed on restoration coating options.
I have seen it asked but not definitively answered. Did the LCA supplier dip LCAs as a complete assembly or in other words the bushing and pivot pin were installed prior to dipping? If so, did Dodge just install the assembly into the K-member as is with cosmoline covered pivot pin?

I am almost positive they were completely assembled, and then dipped. No one would want to handle a slippery part and try and press bushings into it.

Thanks, you obviously make a good point. As a sidebar, a quick check of my FSM does not mention any specific lubrication instructions for the pivot shaft when reinstalling the LCA on the K-member. My gut feel is that if I do dip the whole assembly I would want to clean off the cosmoline from the pivot shaft and use my "ball joint" grease before installing on the K-member. What do you think?

The shaft isn't supposed to turn after it's tightened in place with wheels on ground. No reason to grease it.

And remember, don’t tighten the nuts fully until all the suspension is under normal load.

Thank you for the tips. Yeah, I do not plan to tighten any of the suspension/steering components until the engine/tranny is back in and she is back on her tires.

In lieu of staring a new thread...
Should the insides of pivot shaft holes in the K-Member be paint free?
Since they do not move I am thinking that it is a case of "it does not matter".
When I sprayed my K-Member last summer, out of the car, I now see that I completed coated the inside of the holes. Now that I am preparing to reinstall the LCAs I am debating on whether or not to clean them out to bare metal before installing. Did the factory dip K-Members (in black paint)? If so, then I will leave the insides painted as the factory did and just install the LCAs.

I believe they were sprayed with around 40% gloss. As long as the paint buildup isn’t excessive I wouldn’t worry about cleaning the holes.

Auto Transport Service
Back