• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single guy with married friends.....?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
I didn't get married the first time until 28 and the majority of my friends from school got married years before I did. What I noticed was that they quit hanging around and pretty much never came over anymore. Even my surfing buddy stayed away. It was like I'm now a bad influence. Well, now that I'm single again it's deja vu!! And well, several of them are no longer among us to be fair. Any other single guys experience the same? Not really complaining much because no one is borrowing my stuff and screwing it up anymore....
:lol:

Can't say for the married part as I was in a relationship from high school then married but I noticed it when everyone had kids and I didn't but now I have a kid all my friends with kids are back !

Speaking from the married with children side of it... I married at 28, up until then I spent a lot of time racing motorcross, riding, working on cars, etc with friends but it ended pretty abruptly after the kids. Looking back I can remember the complete disconnect, they didn't get it, acted as if the kids were an inconvenience and didn't seam to understand once you have kids everything else comes second.

I'm a bit of a loaner anyways, takes little to keep me happy and my family is all I ever really need.

I have/had one buddy where we were as tight as brothers until he got married. I know that she didn't like any one of his friends, married or not, we always got the cold shoulder from her. I could never understand why? I never heard from him unless he needed me to help him tow his boat or some other B.S. but when I needed help, there was always a excuse or nowhere to be found. I haven't seen him in over 12+ years now, last time I saw him he was making derogatory and slanderous remarks about Cr8crshr, myself, and Veterans in general of which I was having none of it, and this is front of people I don't even know! What kind of friends pulls that crap? Your better off without those types of people in your life. Good Luck

As a married guy (in my younger days) I went out too much btw golf, outings, bowling leagues, and staying out late...a lot work related and some where I could have gone home sooner. Add I had to travel a lot for several years around the country, gone a week back home two weeks. Made great money though several promotions, so there was not an issue with funds. I suffered from the 'career sacrifice to get ahead' mentality. Many women would a likely split; but always did my best to be around for birthdays, family celebrations, holidays, etc. I was sort of a carbon copy of my dad. I lost track of some good HS buds for some years, now we're back together again for working on our cars, car shows, and a few beers. My closest bud's are the ones I've known since HS and before that. The ton's of work friends where we had fun times together all gone in our various directions. When they had kids it was all in for raising them so less free time. Now when my old bud's can't get together it's usually because they have to watch their grand kids! lol

Friends did come second when I was married with children. Even then I always kept in the loop with them. My good friend's ol' lady use to think I was a bad influence on him. Lol little did she know. Now that the kids are all grown up I have regular weekly visits with friends. I really enjoy the time spent with friends.

Last edited:
My chosen line of work, really didn't mesh with getting married as it found me on the road constantly. Flying for the USAF and deployments. I did come very close, or at least I thought so, 3 times and yet it just was never going to work out. So with that, I just accepted my singleness and went about my life. My Friends that were married and had kids actually allowed me to be a part of their families and to be somewhat of a "Dutch Uncle" to them. They always referred of me as Uncle Tuck. I kinda naturally gravitated to that role and even to this day, now that their kids are grown and with marriages and kids, still refer to me as Uncle Tuck. Now in my early 70's...man the time flew by...I look back on possibly what could have been and see that I am really quite content and satisfied with the way things have turned out. I have some dear and close Friends from my service and one that stretches all the way back to my Viet Nam service. To this day we spend a lot of time visiting and even some Holiday visits, But that is about it. I am not blessed with my own children, but the natural paternal instincts have been brought out over the years so I am somewhat understanding and knowledgeable in the ways of parenting. Just not of my own loins is all. We all come into this World alone and then when the time comes leave it in the same manner. Friends and acquaintances also come and go so is it really all that necessary to travel on that so called acceptable path of marriage and kids? Being a Bachelor and single all my life, has had advantages. Still wouldn't want to change a damn thing in how my life turned out as I am happy and content in the days going forward...Peace Out...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

When I got married my wife had no interest in cars. It was no problem going off with my buddies to the Mopar Nats though, for many years. Once kids came along that was a different story. Kids are grown up and I'm getting back into it.

20200823_112403.jpg
When I first got married, I had a whole bunch of friends who used to party at my house every weekend. There were always lots of girls who made my wife jealous because she worked nights on the weekends. Then we had my daughter and it was like the cops showed up! They scattered most never to be seen back there again! My car friends were always around though. One night, my wife came home from work and a friend of mine who had a 70 Charger, had a few too many drinks and she took his car keys away. He called the police and they made her give him the keys back. He made it to the end of my street then this happened!

Last edited:
He made it to the end of my street then this happened!

He parked the car and then removed the yellow front end and put on the dark colored front end with dents in it?
That guy sounds strange.

View attachment 993417 When I first got married, I had a whole bunch of friends who used to party at my house every weekend. There were always lots of girls who made my wife jealous because she worked nights on the weekends. Then we had my daughter and it was like the cops showed up! They scattered most never to be seen back there again! My car friends were always around though. One night, my wife came home from work and a friend of mine who had a 70 Charger, had a few too many drinks and she took his car keys away. He called the police and they made her give him the keys back. He made it to the end of my street then this happened!
What happened to the original front end? Same thing?

I sold him a nice pair of fenders and a hood, and of course he crashed it with the good ones on it. That incident kinda put a damper on our parties too.

Last edited:
I should have added the facts that his attitude towards me changed dramatically worse after I went into the Reserves at 9/11. I went out and saw the world, expaned my mind as he remained in his small narcissist, liberal little world and felt compelled to push his crap on me? If I never see him again, it won't be soon enough.

I didn't get married the first time until 28
I too married at 28, and next Monday it will be 28 years. Didn't notice friends dropping off like you say....mostly because I don't like too big a circle of friends...more friends equals more chance of losing stuff you lend them. :rolleyes:

BTW...I have found that the average cycle of a friendship is around 7 years.....anyone else notice that?

BTW...I have found that the average cycle of a friendship is around 7 years.....anyone else notice that?
You mean like you meet a new person that you see/know for about 7 years, and then never to be seen or heard from again? Now that you mention it, yeah, and I'm sure I'm one of them!

I'm single & have been for a long time
almost all my friends are married
or on wife #2 or #3 :p
they take pity on me, well the wives do
the men envy me :poke:

they always think I need to be fed or fixed up
(maybe so I can be miserable like them :D )

I do just fine, I like my life the way it is, simple
little to no drama (outside of my elderly dad)

I do really miss Lisa (1 in a million lady)
she supported me in whatever I wanted to do
within reason
she was a true people person, loved to have parties
strange she didn't really have a lot of her own friends,
mostly mine & their wives
it was something, that I never did figure out why?
she was a bartender for a long time,
she talked to a lot of people, very friendly & bubbly
she was also a very competitive person,
loved horses & dogs (more than most people)
she loved going to the drag races & wheeling/4x4 or rodeos

I've had a few good GF's since,
it's just not the same
Honey was around for about 12+ years, we just grew apart
it was a long-distance relationship anyway, ended on good terms
she needed something I wasn't going to give
I was straight up with her from the very beginning

:luvplace:

Last edited:
I too married at 28, and next Monday it will be 28 years. Didn't notice friends dropping off like you say....mostly because I don't like too big a circle of friends...more friends equals more chance of losing stuff you lend them. :rolleyes:

I still talk to some of my high school friends but we don't hang out since we don't exactly live very close but have one that I've known since 63. Others have left the earth....

Wow! He called the cops and they made her give him his keys back??? Geez, if he couldn't make it down the street ya'd think the police would a just waited for him to put his car in gear. Those cops weren't by chance driving an early 60's Dodge with the number 54 on it?

Auto Transport Service
Back