• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six Pack carbs need rebuilt....again

440669superbee

Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
After fixing one thing, now my carbs are pissing fuel all over the manifold. Looks like they need gone through again. Don't think I want to send them out for a total restoration ($$), just going to rebuild them myself....again.
Bought these rebuild kits years ago, "HYGRADE" not so sure I like the quality even though they are made in USA, seen them at Summit for like $18 ea. I may buy the Holley kits, hopefully they are better quality..Saw they have the green upgraded accelerator pump.
Just fishing for others opinions on this??????
Thanks!

After fixing one thing, now my carbs are pissing fuel all over the manifold. Looks like they need gone through again. Don't think I want to send them out for a total restoration ($$), just going to rebuild them myself....again.
Bought these rebuild kits years ago, "HYGRADE" not so sure I like the quality even though they are made in USA, seen them at Summit for like $18 ea. I may buy the Holley kits, hopefully they are better quality..Saw they have the green upgraded accelerator pump.
Just fishing for others opinions on this??????
Thanks!

If it is float level related, check your fuel pressure. On my friends car, the outer carbs would not maintain the float level because the pressure was too high. Found the floats in the outer carbs have the aluminum arm, where the center has the float with the brass arm, and the high fuel pressure (9 psi) was bending the aluminum float arms out of adjustment (out of range of the needle/seat adjustment at the top of the bowl.)

If it is float level related, check your fuel pressure. On my friends car, the outer carbs would not maintain the float level because the pressure was too high. Found the floats in the outer carbs have the aluminum arm, where the center has the float with the brass arm, and the high fuel pressure (9 psi) was bending the aluminum float arms out of adjustment (out of range of the needle/seat adjustment at the top of the bowl.)

That is not correct,all floats have stainless arm,the only variation is that the center float is brass where as the end are nitrophyl .

The Hygrade kit is all good but the power valve I would buy a Holley one and do the check ball upgrade to protect them if not already there
If metering block is not straight PM me and I will tell you how to straighten

Hygrade sounds like its made by Standard Ignition. A/M kits are not a good idea on Holley's unless its from someone like Quikfuel or another specialty outfit. A/M kits generally use cork/neoprene gaskets which shrink and the needle and seat units are sometimes ones that use a brass jam nut. These are bad news as the thread pitch is 1-2 threads different from the Holley ones and will strip out your fuel bowls. Check your main bodies too as they can warp also and need to be flattened.

Gentlemen,
Personally, I use only Holley kits and use the blue gaskets (vs the brown colored or corprene material) and alcohol based accelerator pump diaphragm material...the green elastomer. I also use only the white plastic fuel bowl screw seals. I generally have at least 3 complete kits on hand at all times. As an alternate, Standard Hi Grade jiffy kits are a good substitute. Most of the other kits use a totally different in let valve adjustment arrangement....basically just the reverse of the Holley design.
I generally rebuild the center carb every spring when the car comes out of storage. I attribute the dertioration to a combination of Stabil, dry gas and the ethanol based gasoline in my area. I try to avoid using any ethanol based fuels if possible owing to lower BTU content of the ethanol (compared to real gasoline). This is just my opinion...
Bob Renton

I always had to change out the brown sticky gaskets every other year.

The car sat for almost 2 yrs. I had stabil in it but never thought it would sit for that time period so of course the car is rebelling now. Seems they are leaking from accelerator pump and a couple other places as well. I's been years since I have done anything with them so it's time.....
Thanks for all your support guys!

P7090705.jpg
The black gaskets are as good as the blue if you can find them,I buy them in bulk,not easy to find.

The car sat for almost 2 yrs. I had stabil in it but never thought it would sit for that time period so of course the car is rebelling now. Seems they are leaking from accelerator pump and a couple other places as well. I's been years since I have done anything with them so it's time.....
Thanks for all your support guys!
bet it's leaking at the metering block/carb body. body probably isn't flat.

Auto Transport Service
Back