• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six Pack Mechanical Carbs....what air cleaner?

Since everyone is showing six packs, here’s when I had the mechanical on my car. Been thinking about trying these carbs on a MW port modman for shits and giggles. I just like trying different stuff. Its all a learning experiment for me as I dive in and tune the living hell out of whatever I run on this particular car.

https://youtube.com/shorts/tzQcbAGWQTE?feature=share

Last edited:
I also did a ton of work on my mechanical outboards. They have unadjustable idle circuits out of the box. I found them to be lean on my 511 so I added adjustable idle circuits and adjustable IAB’s as well. I run a 4412 as a center instead of the tiny stock carb.

A47CE7A2-6965-4028-A9C6-8FE30931265F.jpeg
08706FE6-B863-4C70-9802-97C0520C8EB3.jpeg
A4746403-62D8-4560-9A41-2E8AFEBAA19F.jpeg
F9137A51-2172-4D4B-A1D9-299448923B1D.jpeg
636F15E2-EF92-4A34-955A-FA6264FAE8C9.jpeg
0A643198-5481-4F0E-8E5E-4EDB155AAD35.jpeg
C2A1E2C2-E82B-4C61-BB36-CEF86AAC4677.jpeg
F7668A8A-158F-4021-9FE5-800519E7D669.jpeg
129374F2-C727-4A28-A175-C725520133A4.jpeg
D65F07F8-8DA2-4AB0-8D2C-9B04BC28099A.jpeg

Hey @68 HEMI GTS Who’s O2 monitor?

IIRC, wasn’t it yourself that show a lot of this in a thread a little while ago? I don’t know this much about carbs. It’s a little over my head. When the time comes for my mechanical set up I’ll have to revisit.

Hey @68 HEMI GTS Who’s O2 monitor?

IIRC, wasn’t it yourself that show a lot of this in a thread a little while ago? I don’t know this much about carbs. It’s a little over my head. When the time comes for my mechanical set up I’ll have to revisit.

The 02 meter is a innovative LM2 https://innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php.
I couldn’t do 3/4 of the stuff I do without it. It really opened the door for me to really dig in and lean how to manipulate all the circuits on these carbs. In other words it’s some of the best money I could have ever spent. Lol. I only run it on the car when I’m tuning. I’ve used it on a few other cars as well when doing carb work. Some guys put more permanent gauges on, I just don’t see the need for it. Once they’re tuned up they don’t change. I did do a thread on the mechanical carbs a few years back. I’d have to look for it.

Since everyone is showing six packs, here’s when I had the mechanical on my car. Been thinking about trying these carbs on a MW port modman for shits and giggles. I just like trying different stuff. Its all a learning experiment for me as I dive in and tune the living hell out of whatever I run on this particular car.
https://youtube.com/shorts/tzQcbAGWQTE?feature=share
Thanks for the reminder about your stroker 6bbl. It looks so clean, clean as in PRECISE, and I believe it's within my innate capabilities to learn carbs like you already know them, but I would really do best hands on vs reading about them.
@68 HEMI GTS
I remain in awe and inspired by your 6bbl builds!!
:lowdown::lowdown:
I have the Innovate Motorsports dual wideband O2 sensor system and have yet to do any tuning, which is needed, to dial in my A/F ratio better.

The 02 meter is a innovative LM2 https://innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php.
I couldn’t do 3/4 of the stuff I do without it. It really opened the door for me to really dig in and lean how to manipulate all the circuits on these carbs. In other words it’s some of the best money I could have ever spent. Lol. I only run it on the car when I’m tuning. I’ve used it on a few other cars as well when doing carb work. Some guys put more permanent gauges on, I just don’t see the need for it. Once they’re tuned up they don’t change. I did do a thread on the mechanical carbs a few years back. I’d have to look for it.
Thanks. I’ve had that on my wish list for sometime now.
I also need to bookmark your old thread on that mod

WOW!! 4.88 gears!! :bananadance:
I stepped up from my factory Track Pack 3.54 gears to a 4.10 when I put my Passon 5 speed in place of the factory 18 spline 833...NO WAY would I be able to bear a 4.10 w/out that OD 5th gear, and all I need to do is leave it in 4th (1:1) to appreciate how hard core the people were who ordered 4.10s or bought a car w/factory 4.10 gears and drove it on the street..and highways!?!
Anyway, with the few mods to my 440 6bbl, the 4.10, especially with that wonderful 6bbl, well it was no slouch with the 3.54s and the "infinite stall speed" selected by that 3rd pedal, and made the well tuned 6bbl really roar. The 4.10s really added to the jump up and GO when I just stand on it at any speed.
I'm saying all that because I can literally only guess what those 4.88s and the build you had must have been like. My first thought is when you "walk" some would-be challenger on the street, they may just lift, thinking there's no way they can hang. I'm guessing you probably witnessed a good bit of that from the guy who was next to you but quickly disappeared in the rear view mirror.
:thumbsup:
That must have been an infamous ride among the local street scene folks!
The 4.88s were indeed insane. Needed 30" slicks to complete the 1/4 mile without running out of RPM. One time we took it out on the street with those slicks. Had a Vericom VC-200 performance computer and did some 0-60's. One was 2.75s in 108 feet with a peak G of 2.12. Not much was going to leave that behind at a stop light. In today's works with Aluminum heads and strokers it's a bit different of course.

A hypothetical question......and being somewhat or sometimes obtuse,....WHY would you want to spend mega $$$, to "fix" something that does not need fixing? The vacuum operated carb's provide a smooth thsnsition to max flow. If the operator wants faster response operation, there are a multitude of adjustments that can be made. OR is having mechanical carbs on an origional Mopar six barrel/six pack car a conversation piece? Perhaps, if one desired an engineered 3 x 2 bbl set up, and a somewhat rare vehicle, a 1962 Ford 406/405 HP or an earlier Ford 401 HP/390 engine or for truely uniqueness, installing a GM PontiacTri-power, using Rochester carbs setup on a Mopar, as one person attempted, a couple of years back, and noted on this forum. Just asking the question.....
BOB RENTON

A hypothetical question......and being somewhat or sometimes obtuse,....WHY would you want to spend mega $$$, to "fix" something that does not need fixing? The vacuum operated carb's provide a smooth thsnsition to max flow. If the operator wants faster response operation, there are a multitude of adjustments that can be made. OR is having mechanical carbs on an origional Mopar six barrel/six pack car a conversation piece? Perhaps, if one desired an engineered 3 x 2 bbl set up, and a somewhat rare vehicle, a 1962 Ford 406/405 HP or an earlier Ford 401 HP/390 engine or for truely uniqueness, installing a GM PontiacTri-power, using Rochester carbs setup on a Mopar, as one person attempted, a couple of years back, and noted on this forum. Just asking the question.....
BOB RENTON
I can assure you, pumping carbs provide a faster response than vacuum actuated, even when tuned properly. Not all engines / cars can handle that but for the ones that can, the effect is pretty fun. They make double pumpers for a reason, this is a triple pumper.

BOB RENTON
Bob, your memory is slightly faulty. It was a semantics problem with @Sonny thread. He never tried to use Rochesters, he was refering to corvette tripower carbs, holley 2300s too. He ended up using three corvette centers, converted to use sidehung bowls, and mechanical linkage. I referenced his thread here earlier, but sure enough, when i looked for it i couldnt find it. Date was somewhere around april-june 2020. His carbs were on the small side, but he was using them on a mild motor, and they sure looked good!
The goal was an inexpensive six barrel setup with new carbs. Looked to me like he reached it.

BOB RENTON

for the same reason we don’t all run .509 cams, stock stroke cranks, and 906 heads. Last I checked none of those are broke either but, if it’s gotta be explained then…

Last edited:
If it helps anyone, found this for vacuum secondary carb use.........
upload_2021-7-20_10-9-26.png

upload_2021-7-20_10-21-48.png

Notice it says to plug the kill bleed ports. If you do this, you might consider doing it in a way that is reversible JIC.

If it helps anyone, found this for vacuum secondary carb use.........
View attachment 1141276
View attachment 1141280

Notice it says to plug the kill bleed ports. If you do this, you might consider doing it in a way that is reversible JIC.

plugging the kill bleeds is a horrid mod and should never be done. That’s from someone who does not understand the vacuum carbs and how they operate. And there’s no way the small center carb should have that jetting.

Last edited:
plugging the kill bleeds is a horrid mod and should never be done. That’s from someone who does not understand the vacuum carbs and how they operate. And there’s no way the small center carb should have that jetting.
Thanks for your input. That's a LOT of jet for the center carb!
I believe factory center carb jets on an automatic transmission equipped 440+6 is #63 and #64 on a manual transmission car. I think I'm running #66 center jets right now, but I really need to make the time to take some readings from my dual wideband O2 system at different load/RPM throttle situations, and then I'll hit the forum with my findings, and talk with Ben at Promax (since he did a good bit of work on all 3 carbs) and see what should be tweaked and how.
I did buy 2 kits of Holley jet pairs, from around the low 60s into the 90s size wise, for center and outboard carbs, and the future 541 stroker w/ModMan 6bbl intake.

Bob, your memory is slightly faulty. It was a semantics problem with @Sonny thread. He never tried to use Rochesters, he was refering to corvette tripower carbs, holley 2300s too. He ended up using three corvette centers, converted to use sidehung bowls, and mechanical linkage. I referenced his thread here earlier, but sure enough, when i looked for it i couldnt find it. Date was somewhere around april-june 2020. His carbs were on the small side, but he was using them on a mild motor, and they sure looked good!
The goal was an inexpensive six barrel setup with new carbs. Looked to me like he reached it.

I'm aware of the differences between the Holley 2300 carbs used by Mopar and the origional Holley 2300 variants used by GM for the Corvette application, beside the differences in fuel line entries in addition to flow capacities and metering variations. I think that the GM variants were the building blocks that the Mopar used to develop the "beloved" carbs we all know so well. I believe that there was someone (can't recall handle or date) that was attempting to adapt Rochester 2G (end carbs) and 2GC (center carb) 2 BBL carbs for a Mopar application.....not sure why...but...to each his/her own volition.
Personally, I'll keep the RS23V0A****** GTX as origional as possible and enjoy it for what it is (one of 350 4 speed cars built) and invest the monies, expended by others for their cars, in more tangible returns that continue to grow with time......
BOB RENTON

You wanna try that set up on Your street car more power to you. It’s a **** setup period. Might go down the drag strip. All it’s doing is trying to compensate for the poor distribution on the intake. I’d concentrate on fixing the intake before I did that to any set of carbs

I’ll rank that up there with the mopar valve lash chart that should be used as a piece of toilet paper as well.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back