Six Pack Mechanical Carbs....what air cleaner?

General Mopar Tech Discussions

1. Daves69

Daves69 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:13 AM
    Not telling Anyone to try it. This is what they were selling ya'. Why do ya' think it was meant for the SS class?

2. 68 HEMI GTS

68 HEMI GTS Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:13 AM
    damn, no kidding…

3. biomedtechguy

biomedtechguy Accelerati Rapidus Maximus FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Easy guys...
    We are just sharing information, and it's certainly ok to point out what experience may say is "bad advice" even if said advice comes from Ma Mopar...
    In my extensive, nay, psychopathic amount of research I did on the Weiand 6bbl intake and all of the satellite parts and tweaks, IF you have a stock or near stock displacement 440, I believe these mods are better than the ones in the Chrysler Performance manual, and this guy tried both ways.
    His mods which obviously and per his own evaluation and observations reduced plenum volume, increased velocity and fuel atomization (or maintained it better) and effected flow patterns resulted in .20 faster ¼ mile times.
    Here's some pix:
    Weiand Manifold Mods 006 (1).jpg Weiand Manifold Mods 007.jpg Weiand Manifold Mods 008 (1).jpg Weiand Manifold Mods 009.jpg
    The green "epoxy putty" forms dams to prevent liquid fuel from running down the intake runners and the "dots" of it that actually resemble Hershey Kisses were an effort to reduce puddling, and he used some other material in the runners to change their shape and volume. Unfortunately, when I spoke and emailed with him, he had only run the 440 in his E-Body car with this arrangement for a year or 2 IIRC, so I'm sure further R&D can be done.
    What I'm REALLY looking for is info on a couple of F&B DPI/EFI setups that have used this intake!!
    One immediate benefit of having "throttle bodies" for air intake with separate fuel injectors plumbed in to the intake runners right before they contact the cylinder heads is it becomes a "dry intake", removing the worst inherent problems that come with its design.
    THOSE are the reports I'm looking for, but the 68 A-Body Barracuda that is one car (moselyme on the A-Body forum) I'm most interested in is taking FOREVER for him to complete. In his defense, he's very meticulous and the car is amazing.
    Again, the link to the Victory Library page, with the referenced data at the bottom of the page:
    http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/weiand-c.htm
    And here's a link to moselyme on FABO:
    https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showcase/p3690982-weiand-six-pack-tunnel-ram.10754/

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Rob Vaughn

Rob Vaughn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Oh I know its a street car and for the first time the wow factor might outdo the performance factor! Plus I like a challenge i have some different setups in mind they couldn't do in that class! What really makes it exciting is most people save forget it . It's kinda reminds me of the old drag racing when they made things work!
      You learn from your mistakes!

• Like Like x 1
      • Rob Vaughn

Local Time:
        Nice work! You must be a machinist or maintenance in a factory

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • Rob Vaughn

Local Time:
          Makes me think of throttle bodies! Tunnel ram and 2 four barrels is what I cut my teeth on drag racing in the 80s ! Good linkage and carbs we ran consistent 10.54s . The tunnel ram didn't do much but keep the car consistent

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Rob Vaughn

Local Time:
            I agree it doesn't look like the best intake for atomized fuel ! Looks like it has a better chance of bringing fuel back to liquid.
            68 hemi have you had experience with this intake?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
            • 440 Charger

440 Charger FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
              Lol too much info.

• RJRENTON

RJRENTON FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
              A curiosity question regarding the epoxy "additions" to the STR manifold.....are you concerned with any of the epoxy pieces or the wood volume reducing pieces coming loose during operation and being injested?? I would think that the cured epoxy pieces are solid rather something like cured RTV. Being solid, would they shatter if caught in a valve or smashed by the pistons? Just asking......
              BOB RENTON

• 33 IMP

33 IMP Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              10:13 PM
              I dont want to speak for anyone else, or put words in anothers mouth, but.... i think 68 hemi was referring to the carb mods, which look terrible, rather than the manifold, which doesnt look terrible but admittedly needs work to work well.

• Rob Vaughn

Local Time:
              Intake mods have worked and the one with all the epoxy, that guy has probably pissed with that intake more than anyone and I know he nailed the performance of pretty good because I tried to purchase some of his stuff and he said it's going to

• Rob Vaughn

Local Time:
              There was another guy at the race track, I can't remember his name, but he ran that weiand peanut roaster and really did well !!! But you never see his hood open, it was always shut!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
              By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.