• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skip between 2nd and third

Rusty knuckles

Local time
11:22 PM
Reaction score
So my BB 727 has been having a kind of weird skip between 2nd and 3rd upshift. It's like the trans goes to neutral briefly before going into 3rd. The rpms jump up a bit as it's doing it. It does this both in drive and if I shift manually. Not sure if it's related or not but it doesn't seem to down shift correctly under acceleration. But if I shift manually from drive to 2nd the skip doesn't seem to be there. I've checked the kick down and its adjusted right, full pressure at WOT. I don't think there's any slippage while driving, just this skip between 2nd and 3rd. I also think it upshifts too fast. Its trying to go to 3rd by 30mph. Any thoughts?

Adjust the kick down. Forget about what you think is right. You need more throttle pressure.

If the trans has a lot of miles, it may just be worn clutches & bands. Any history on the trans? Is this a new problem?

If the trans has a lot of miles, it may just be worn clutches & bands. Any history on the trans? Is this a new problem?

Not a new thing. It's been doing it for some time. I've never had the trans out and had the car for over 20 years.

Not a new thing. It's been doing it for some time. I've never had the trans out and had the car for over 20 years.
I would adjust the kickdown for higher shifts and see what that does. It sounds like it's time for a transmission fluid and filter change and while the pan is odd, adjust the bands according to the Factory Service Manual.

I was in a lot better shape 20 years ago! I would recommend going through your Torqueflite.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back