• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slant 6 Valve Cover Gasket Opinion

I never had problems with the old cork or rubber if the cover was straight and installed correctly

Looks reusible. Go for it ! Then give us a review.

Looks reusible. Go for it ! Then give us a
Hello All. Gasket in looks pretty good!
HOWEVER
After taking off the valve cover (first time doing this) Wow is everything gunked up with old cruddy oil. Is this a larger issue? I was planning on adjusting my valves. However if there's a larger issue that I should deal with first please let me know. Photos attached. Thanks y'all.

20230616_115327.jpg

20230616_115330.jpg

I have never liked silicone for 'oil related' gaskets. Silicone seems to swell from oil and is then unusable.

I have never liked silicone for 'oil related' gaskets. Silicone seems to swell from oil and is then unusable.
Is it an issue that my valves are covered in old oil and gunk?
I am assuming a gasket or seal is faulty here.

What you see is typical on a old slant 6 engine. There is not much oil up there like a hydraulic lifter motor. Do not worry about it. Adjust the valves and put it back together.

Contributing factors.
1-Lack of oil Changes.
2-Short runs. No heat to burn off the condensation.
3-Low RPM'S and most likely slow conservative driving.
4-Design. That is a big box area so lots of moisture can accumulate.
5-Lack of oil. Again design. If there was a lot of oil it would of helped wash the upper end down.

Like I said above do not worry. You could use a shop vac and try to suck off the crud. Wipe it off the best you can. DO NOT wash it into the pan. Adjust the valves. Drive it more and longer to build up heat. Start changing the oil more often.

Very normal for a 60 something year old.Who knows what care the pre owner(s) did as far as maintenance.
Usually this forms from short distance driving more than anything.
Adjust you valves. Change your oil and filter.After 800-1000 miles or so add 1 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.
You car may need a quart of oil around then,maybe sooner.
This will slowly dissolve the crud.I have no idea how much you will drive the car.It may take months or more to reach 1000 miles.If so add it sooner. I will sometimes,depending on how dirty the oil looks change the filter at 1000 and add a quart of oil.On old cars that I have no plan on rebuilding the engine I use this process.
I use MMO in 3 of my engines now and have been for years to clean them up.

Very normal for a 60 something year old.Who knows what care the pre owner(s) did as far as maintenance.
Usually this forms from short distance driving more than anything.
Adjust you valves. Change your oil and filter.After 800-1000 miles or so add 1 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.
You car may need a quart of oil around then,maybe sooner.
This will slowly dissolve the crud.I have no idea how much you will drive the car.It may take months or more to reach 1000 miles.If so add it sooner. I will sometimes,depending on how dirty the oil looks change the filter at 1000 and add a quart of oil.On old cars that I have no plan on rebuilding the engine I use this process.
I use MMO in 3 of my engines now and have been for years to clean them up.
Thanks for the info about MMO, I will try that.
In regards to the gasket I had an issue. The instructions says explicitly 40lbs of torque to fit the valve cover back on. Used a torque wrench and tried tighting up the screws to that specification after 1st run and broke off the head of two screws. 40lbs is wayyy too tight. It was beginning to bend the cover upon closer inspection.

Well after I get done crying and swearing I am off to harbor freight to get a screw removal kit...

If you get these Tennessee gasket do not follow the torque settings!

20230616_115700.jpg

Thanks for the info about MMO, I will try that.
In regards to the gasket I had an issue. The instructions says explicitly 40lbs of torque to fit the valve cover back on. Used a torque wrench and tried tighting up the screws to that specification after 1st run and broke off the head of two screws. 40lbs is wayyy too tight. It was beginning to bend the cover upon closer inspection.

Well after I get done crying and swearing I am off to harbor freight to get a screw removal kit...

If you get these Tennessee gasket do not follow the torque settings!

View attachment 1480602
You must be a very novice mechanic. Its 40 Inch pounds most likely. Common sense tells a guy 1/4 inch is not going to like 40 foot pounds. Now you made a easy fix a disaster.

Contributing factors.
1-Lack of oil Changes.
2-Short runs. No heat to burn off the condensation.
3-Low RPM'S and most likely slow conservative driving.
4-Design. That is a big box area so lots of moisture can accumulate.
5-Lack of oil. Again design. If there was a lot of oil it would of helped wash the upper end down.

Like I said above do not worry. You could use a shop vac and try to suck off the crud. Wipe it off the best you can. DO NOT wash it into the pan. Adjust the valves. Drive it more and longer to build up heat. Start changing the oil more often.
IMO....
1. Yes.....more frequent oil changes.....3000 miles max for city driving
2. Yes....may be attributable to short runs AND an incorrect thermostat....suggest 180° minimum.
3. Yes....take the vehicle out on the interstate or turnpike or high speed road occasionally....1 hour run
4. Yes....is the PCV SYSTEM functional: PCV valve, hose, inlet breather, carb base where hose connects...this will minimize moisture and crud build up
5. Yes....use a good grade of high detergent oil, perhaps 10W-30 or 10W-40 or a Shell Rotella oil for diesel engines as it has a high detergent additive for the first several oil changes maybe with a pint of HD additive.....it'll clean out the crud and sludge and help with rocker arm shaft oiling.....
I always set the valves 0.002" less than FSM; Set Engine HOT, engine OFF....less messy....following firing order: 1 - 5 - 3 - 6 - 2 - 4. 175,000 miles on engine ...... but this is just my way.....others will hsve their own method........
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back