• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440-6bbl Finally had the time and remembered a loose valve cover bolt/stud. Cork gasket too.

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
I somehow wound up with the wrong bolt in the lower corner of my driver's side valve cover, the one closest to the firewall.
It seemed like every time I noticed it I didn't have time to deal with it.
Yesterday I did an oil and filter change, and I could see evidence of oil "leaking" down the back corner, and that reminded me of that loose bolt.
I moved the stud from the front lower bolt hole to the rear, because I found I couldn't get a bolt in to that hard to reach spot once the vc was on, and the nut on the stud made it easier.
I removed the old Fel-Pro cork gasket, cleaned the vc surface of residue, put a thin layer of silicone RTV on the vc surface and put the cork gasket on the vc.
Put it all back together and I will clean up the surfaces etc under the hood that have "automotive fluids" on them, and see how that all goes.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back