• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

slap stick adjust

demonram

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need to adjust the shifter in the car. I cant seem to get the slap stick to do its thing, if I set it so it will start (park) I cant put it in manual 1st. If I move it ever so slightly to adjust, it wont start. I know it's got to do with the neutral switch. Is there an adjustment to the switch I can do or what else should I be looking at? It's driving me crazy! When I put the tranny in I had my buddy help me and he didn't see the tranny pushing the down rod up and it bent the upper pivot. I replaced it and the spring. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance HOWARD

What year are you working on? Since you replaced some pieces you may have gotten some from a different year which don't interchange. The vertical torque shaft and lower transmission rod on a console slap stick automatic shifter including the trans tail housing bracket on a 70 E-Body are different than the pieces for a 71-74 B-Body and won't interchange correctly with mixed 71-74 pieces unless all 3 pieces are changed. 71-74 E-Body and 71-74 B-Body do interchange. It sound like you may have some 70 E-Body pieces mixed with 71-74 E or B pieces this could cause that problem. Another issue could be the trans valve body lever. If the trans is not form the same year or model as the car the lever could be the incorrect indexing, curve or length this will also create that problem. If you post some pics of what you have i may be able to help

In addition to what Moparparts said, and assuming you have the right combination of parts:

My 73 Road Runner with a slap stik had the same problem. I am not sure of the proper part names, so I will do the best to describe them...

On my car it turned out to be the vertical shift rod was worn. This is the rod that passes through the transmission tunnel. It was worn where the nylon bushing sits, which is held by a flange that is bolted to the transmission. On my car, I gently bent up the flange so the nylon bushing was now sitting on unworn metal. This took the slop out of the system and allowed all the gears to work properly.

One caution! If your slap stik is not adjusted properly, make sure it at least works easily in Park. Otherwise, you may put the slap stik in park, but the transmission may not be quite in park. I had my car ALMOST roll away when I slapped it in park and quickly got out, only to have it almost roll away! :head_smack:

It's a 72 Sebring plus. Tranny is original. The upper pivot plate, I was told is correct, kind of hard to compare to the original because it was bent. I had straightened it out, not knowing exactly how it should look. It did the job as far as shifting but would not allow the slap stick to lock. It does lock in 2 and drive now but can't get that 1st. The shape is the same except it is higher now. I do know it does lock in park( that is the most important) and doesn't allow neutral in slap stick. Thanks

Back