• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small block auto to manual transmission conversion

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:52 PM
Reaction score
Was wondering two things if I wanted to convert to a 4 speed:
1. what manual transmissions are readily available (including overdrive)? I hear stock 4 speeds are difficult to find.

2. what else will I need?
Bell housing/inspection plate
Flywheel
Z bar and brackets
Shifter
Manual trans mount
Different length drive shaft?
Clutch
Pedal assy

looks like an expensive list not even including the trans man.....

Complete kits from Passon Performance run about $3800-$4000. I would say that Brewers is about the same. You may be able to piece the stuff together for a grand less (just a guess) A used B body 4 speed with the Hurst shifter is on Craigs List,Mopar Parts,Lake Havasu right now for $750. Any good? can't say.There is a 4 speed crossmember in the for sale ads here.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Z bar support that is welded onto the inside (purple) of the frame rail and torque boxes in the corners

clutch.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gonna ask a silly question. Didn't mopar continue the A833 platform after 1974 in the form of 5 speeds? If so are they a direct bolt in? Not trying to hijack your thread just curious.

IIRC, they were also aluminum cases and probably won't take much abuse.

New carpet, shifter boot, reverse lamp and wire harness.

You may have to do some work on the console if you have one.

Was just curious. Lots of work and cash just as I thought. Think she’ll stay an automatic unless I win the lotto......

Auto Transport Service
Back