• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smart water shut off

My 14-year-old water heater crapped the bed on Monday morning. From my bedroom, it sounded like my toilet was running, but louder. I dashed off to the garage, and found the tank had ruptured, with water cascading down inside the unit to the control valve, then the overflow tray and then the drain. Cool, no real damage outside the water heater closet. I turned off the supply above the unit, then shut off the gas flow. I'm glad I was home, as my wife is not at all familiar with what I was going...she is now.

My current hot water needs are met in my shop bathroom for now, at least until next Tuesday, when my plumber can get out to install a replacement. My shop has a 3/4-bath (shower, no tub), so it's not like it's a huge water emergency for us, we just have to go outside to access the shop. Kind of a cold walk this week! No biggie, though. It works. Meanwhile, I found the stool was not tight against the tile floor, so I'm going to install a new wax seal and new fasteners to get a nice, tight, leakproof seal.

Things are just never quite "done" on anything. Next job - a new garbage disposal. Mine just clicks, and it's stuck-stuck. Saturday fun upcoming, woohoo!

Next job - a new garbage disposal
Replaced my disposal a few months ago, sucks when you can’t get the same unit/model with matching drain outlet anymore, making for added plumbing work. I had a 3/4hp unit and got another having the drain pipe where I wouldn’t need to do added plumbing. But then, the body of the new one was slightly larger dia than my old one, bumping into the drain pipe from the other sink unable to seat it straight. Damn. Measure that and unable to find one in the 3/4hp so went to a 1/2hp model. We never used it that much and don’t toss much down it when I can just toss it in the garbage. Aside from the time I had a nasty backup when my daughter was over helping with a holiday dinner…peeling potatoes…

Auto Transport Service
Back