• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snow in June

Mike Szadaj

Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
It’s not a B body, but I hope you enjoy this picture anyway. Written on the back is June 3 1962, West of Denver, elevation 11,739, snow in june. That is my grandmother and my grandfather snapped the picture. That is their recently purchased 1962 dodge dart slant 6 two door sedan in the background. I don’t know exactly when they bought it, but considering when new cars come out, it is less than nine months old and they are driving it from Detroit to California. Quite the break in drive! The car was purchased from Hodges Dodges in Ferndale, a dealership that was a big sponsor of the Ramchargers.

IMG_2676.jpeg

Love those old pics with the date on them. That scene reminds me of when we visited friends in Cortez. We decided to go to Ouray for the day and my friend said he knew a short cut. We took a one lane road up to a pass. My Jeep Cherokee was sputtering, then we got almost to the pass and had to back down due to about 2=3 feet of snow across the road. Went back and took the long way. I believe that was in June.

1962 west of Denver, I-70?

I used to live there. At 12k ft snow was always there in June. To bring it down to earth I lived at 6500 ft and we would sometimes get a legitimate mini snow storm in June. Skiing often went on into July. That was life at altitude. Boy do I miss life there……

BYW - That new Dodge grand pops and ma have is a rock star. Still love em today.

1962 west of Denver, I-70?
I have absolutely no idea what route they took. Considering it was 1962, I would image a great deal of the interstate system was still unfinished. From the look of the road in this picture and another from the same trip I posted in an earlier thread , they were both taken on two lane type roads. Four years later when my family and grandparents drove to California (8 people in two cars) we still did the majority of our driving on two and three lane state hiways. Grandpa bought a 383 4bbl two door hardtop Polara just before that trip. Our family car was a 63 Belvedere.

Last edited:
Drove a Jeep over Mosquito Pass in Colarado in
July down into Leadville. Snow flurries at the summit.
Not uncommon for higher elevations.

Auto Transport Service
Back