• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I looked at this car today

Those cars with a 400 get bid up to around $20k at auctions, but don't sell.

The car in post #1 is a 360 2bbl slug with no performance goodies.

I'll say low bid of $8,500 and a high bid of maybe $12,500. The owner probably won't let it go for a bid in that range. However, it only takes two bidders to run the price up to a higher price. That being said, I don't see high auction selling prices in the Carolinas compared to other parts of the country.

I see nice '79 Chrysler 300 cars (factory performance goodies) NOT selling for $10k to $15k. Eventually they sell, but for how much?
Theres a 79 300 on marketplace for $7900 but it has rust.

I hate auctions. I enjoy going to them but hate bidding & buying. I tried & tried to get a price but every time they came back with register to bid & you’ll find out the price. So I’ll play the game.

worth = value
Sorry, I'm not into them cars, I don't know them well either
looks like a Cordoba with a 2 tone paint job & some stickers

$12k - maybe $17k my wild *** quess,
seems like the crazy prices today
You don’t need to apologize Bud. Different tastes & opinions & life experiences are what makes us all different & special.

I’ve seen two bid to 20K with a no sale pre Covid but they were nicer that this car
Figures I posted come from Hagerty's Valuation Tool, which derives the numbers from actual sales.
I claim no expertise myself.

Just from the hip. If I really liked the car I may be comfortable going $10k. If I needed every dollar I could? I would be happy selling at $19k. Wouldn't surprise me if hammer price somewhere between.

My friend, Bob, has the two tone gray, with red interior version with about 1/2 the mileage of the subject one. He bought it new, and has all paperwork for it. 360 motor.

Yeah, it is pretty hard to keep big block valve covers sealed up. Passenger side exhaust manifolds is so close, that it cooks the crap out of the gasket.

As someone who has an interest in a mid 70s B body.

My guess...mid to upper teens would be top dollar. And even that is questionable.
Small block and no T tops will hold it back to most( myself included )

About 2 years ago a good friend of mine sold his 1979 300 for $8500 and it was an all original 10k mile car. Right down to the original tires were included but not mounted
No T tops or sunroof car though

IMO to get in the teens these cars have to be damn damn nice and unusual.

Last edited:
@GrabberOrange69 ... so this is my opinion, what's with the red-x ? You think it's worth more, or less, than $10-14k ????
I hate the red X. I don't mind someone disagreeing but to just hit the X and not say anything is rude IMO. Maybe it is a fat finger but you really don't know unless they explain it.

Personally I would prefer the 360 LA to the 400 of that era.
They were good cars.

It's always a case of "the right buyer" and how much hype.
In WI, that is a $9k car. Maybe double that for crazy CA or metro east coast?

Don't forget in an auction you can add 20% just because auction and the seller won't want to eat the commission. So if this was auctioned in Green Bay I would expect $13k or the seller wouldn't let it go because 20% off of $9k will leave a sour taste.

IMO this era is drivers cars. You can find a really nice one and put a bit of modern tech onto the engine and cruise in power and style. But no one wants them to hide away in climate controlled storage as "investments" unless it is really, REALLY unique or impossibly low miles. And by impossibly low, think more under 10k miles.
Which is actually good, IMO it lets youngsters get into MOPAR and lets people that want a daily to commute in and do burnouts leaving the grocery store something actually affordable.

I hate auctions. I enjoy going to them but hate bidding & buying. I tried & tried to get a price but every time they came back with register to bid & you’ll find out the price. So I’ll play the game.
I can only listen to an auctioneer for so long before it just turns into noise and that span of time isn't all that long.
Yeah, it is pretty hard to keep big block valve covers sealed up. Passenger side exhaust manifolds is so close, that it cooks the crap out of the gasket.
Yup.... I tried several different kinds of sealers and gaskets but after a while I got tired of working on it plus my wife at the time was pregnant and having to breathe that oder because she was driving it all the time so I found something else for her to drive and sold the car to somebody at work. I told him about the valve cover problem but he didn't care. This was in 86 and I'm guessing they have better products nowadays for that kind of stuff...?

We had the same problem when I worked at the Chrysler dealer. The factory-issued silicone gaskets to solve the problem. I never saw one leak for your mentioned reason with newer gaskets.

I had three Cordobas back in high school one was a cream color with tan interior 360, one was green with green interior 360 and another which I liked was a 400 loaded silver with red leather bucket seat console… Flipped the cream and green ones after driving them shortly. I drove the silver one for awhile then my girlfriend got it, She drove it for awhile then we traded it in on a laser xe 5 speed the talking one… Good cars overall with no issues all drove and road nice.. The one pictured I would 15-18k is probably right in todays inflated market..

Auto Transport Service
Back