• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I think I found my original gas cap.......

Save the original gas cap? or is it too far gone?

• Save the gas cap!

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Scrap the gas cap!

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters

Seax440Dodge

Local time
3:16 PM
Reaction score
Back in the day, some 16 odd years ago when I first bought my car, it didn't have a gas cap, so I got a replacement... fast forward to today, I'm in the process of upgrading the fuel system on my '66 (I added electric fuel pumps, regulator, upsized to 3/8 line, added a return line, dropped the tank, put a new sending unit in, cleaned the tank out, and welded up any holes in the tank... all cause vapor lock pissed me off... anywho...), so in the process of putting the tank back in, I decided to replace the fuel inlet and vent elbows, I cut the old elbows off, and dropped the inlet, and when I did, out dropped a beat up, rusty old gas cap... I've got a sand blaster and access to an ice blaster, should I clean it up and see if it's salvageable? the gasket is dried up and shot, but it looks to be just some form of rubber

Any thoughts? IMG_0944.jpgIMG_0946.jpgIMG_0947.jpg

That looks right. I have the original to my '66 Charger. I wil dig it out and shoot a pic or two tomorrow.

I'm gonna give 'er a shot tomorrow, I'm sure it'll stand up to blasting, I'll post a pic of what it looks like cleaned up and straightened out

If it was mine I'd only blast the inside and wd-40 the outside to see if the factory coating is still on the outside of the cap. I think it was some sort of galvanizing but not sure. I didn't get a change to hit the upstairs of the shop for pics of my cap today...maybe tomorrow.

Umm...Maybe somebody tried the wrong size (too small) cap and that's how it originally got in there? :shruggy:

Did you check to see if it actually fits your filler neck? :eusa_think:

I don't see how it would have went down the filler neck if it's the proper sized gas cap. The cap's outside diameter would not (should not) allow it to fit through the opening. The outer lip of the cap is supposed to fit 'over' the outer lip of the filler neck, right? :edgy:

Nothing worse than a lot of effort put into something that won't work.

no no, not IN the filler neck, it was lodged in the cavity that the filler neck goes into, like someone took the cap off, sat it next to the fill hole, and it fell down

Ahh. I miss-understood the earlier post. I'll sit down now.

If it was mine I'd only blast the inside and wd-40 the outside to see if the factory coating is still on the outside of the cap. I think it was some sort of galvanizing but not sure. I didn't get a change to hit the upstairs of the shop for pics of my cap today...maybe tomorrow.

I agree. Is it a vented or non vented cap?

Oregon is "Full Service" state, like N.J.

The guy filling up the charger at Costco dropped the cap next to the fill pipe and it fell right in front of thr pipe.

We had to find someone with real small hands to retrieve it.

Who knows how many original caps are hiding there!!

Rag

Oregon is "Full Service" state, like N.J.

The guy filling up the charger at Costco dropped the cap next to the fill pipe and it fell right in front of thr pipe.

We had to find someone with real small hands to retrieve it.

Who knows how many original caps are hiding there!!

Rag

Yes it is...."full service" is a code phrase for "slow as hell and ornery" lol

well, I cleaned up the cap some, the underside is going to be the hard part, none of the factory coating was on the top of the cap, unless they coated it in rust :p

anywho, here's what it looks like so far:

cap1.jpg

It cleans up well. Even if you don't use it, it's sort of nice to have.

I agree, it cleaned up real good. You should be able to find some material laying around to make another gasket. Hope the inside cleans up just as well. If nothing else you have a spare.

Hello,

Keep it either way, it is a conversation/nostalgia piece!

Auto Transport Service
Back