• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soda Blaster

I'm going to go with the grinder and muscle. From those pictures I see that it can be done. I have the time so that is not an issue. 40 bucks a fender sounds good to me, too bad I can't find that rate around here.

It's all time. With me, (and some others) the investment into the stout air compressor pays off so I can do small jobs in quick time, for 40 bucks inner fenders, come back in an hr type deal. That's easy easy free free money for me when I'm doing other projects; I love small projects!

The harbor freight blasters are found in two varieties open top and pressurized types. I find most harbor freight equipment coming from China is pretty poor in quality. If you want to spend the money look for a "ALC Sandy Jet" blaster which is pressurized. What ever unit you get these systems are all very slow. Also many guys are using walnut shell media instead of soda. The baking soda can be a problem if you do not get it all out. This material is alkaline and will cause problems if not fully removed. But if you really want soda blasting go to professional they have the right compressors and dry air. The Soda is environmetally friendly until it mixes with paint residue.

A friend of mine found someone who will blast my inner fenders for 75 bucks a piece. That's a lot better than 200 a piece.

In a previous post you said you got $150 per hour and that an inner fender would take you about 30-40 mins. so two fender would be an hours worth of work for $150. Which is what I'm paying here. wish it were cheaper but, that's the best I can find around here.

Yeah, but...Fenders, Hoods, Doors, and deck lids I do for a fixed price; b/c I do these all the time, and, for me, time is money, so, I try to do 'em as fast as I can. And, frankly, I set these prices, and they are too low for my stated prices for these items, but, raising them is something that could bit me in the behind someday. So, incremental raises each year, and still have 'em clean as a whistle when I deliver them to the clients -- the name of this game is also name and value recognition. Sure, some items are not profitable, but, some items are! How's the rust up there? My GTX I scored from RI, man, what a mess that was! Post some pics in this thread...gives us reason to come back! :)

Actually the blasting is for my other project, a 1959 Edsel. I don't know if anyone wants to see that since this is a mopar site. My Satellite is in pretty good shape body wise, I'm going to rebuild the engine probably this winter, depending on where I am with the Edsel. I don't want to have too many parts spread out all over the place!

Auto Transport Service
Back