• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soliciting opinions on good work boots

70rr-brian

Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
Recently my old faithful work boots finally degraded to the point they need to be pitched. Being a desk jockey for most of the day I am really not going to pretend to be in the know here. My last pair lasted 20 years. Although I was never terribly fond of them.

What I am looking for is the following:

8"
Waterproof
Insulated
Steel toe (open to exotic materials as well.)
And comfortable

I have been doing some window shopping on line and have boiled it down to the following:

Red Wing
Wolverine
Caterpillar
Timberland

I use them for everything. Working in shop, out in the snow, trudging through mud you name it.

Any suggestions, feedback or comments on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Wolverine or timberland. I had a pair of caterpillar boots fail in 5 months when I was a machinist. Just my experiences, never had red wing boots.

In my opinion, Danner makes the best boots, but like Redwing they'll cost a minimum of $180. I especially like Danner because they are completely hand crafted in the USA. They also have a good re-crafting program. I've also been happy with Timberland. I'm wearing Timberland now, and they're heavier than most, be extremely comfortable.

I wear the Redwing shoes.

X2 me too, steel toes & comfortable low/mid high tops I just recently got some low tops from Duluth Trading Company, so far so good... My snow boots are Serel IIRC made in Canada, have lasted me like 30 years now, insulated, warm & comfy...

I know Wolverine makes a good boot, Caterpillar is made by them also. They are local to me and i usually get deals thru their factory outlet.

Hating steel toe boots I finally found some that are comfortable, tough, and made in the USA. Everybody that I've got to try them are loyal buyers now, Carolina Milleniums "great boot". Some of Carolina's lines of boots are made elsewhere but the Milleniums are made right here and it shows when comparing them to the others that are not. I do allot of welding, torching, and everything else "they hold up and are comfortable".

X2 I wear the Danner Omega 400 for work. Im out in the oil field on my feet 12+ hours a day. 24+ days a month. I got 2 years out of my last pair even stepping in nasty stuff all the time. Great boots, comfortable after a little breaking in. I wore out thr inserts before I wore out the boot. Highly recommend these.
And they are 8", waterproof, steel toe, etc.
In my opinion, Danner makes the best boots, but like Redwing they'll cost a minimum of $180. I especially like Danner because they are completely hand crafted in the USA. They also have a good re-crafting program. I've also been happy with Timberland. I'm wearing Timberland now, and they're heavier than most, be extremely comfortable.

IMHO Red wings suck. they fell apart after a little over a year. i purchased some Clarks Wave and they are comfy as hell. not cheap $160+, but super comfy and well constructed.

not sure if they make a "waterproof" per se, but ive trudged through a bunch of **** with them and they have held up fine.

IMHO Red wings suck. they fell apart after a little over a year. i purchased some Clarks Wave and they are comfy as hell. not cheap $160+, but super comfy and well constructed.

not sure if they make a "waterproof" per se, but ive trudged through a bunch of **** with them and they have held up fine.
my Redwings have done great, wearing really good, since like 1997 & they are the most comfortable steel-toe boots, I've had yet too...

my Redwings have done great, wearing really good, since like 1997 & they are the most comfortable steel-toe boots, I've had yet too...

you must have gotten the last pair that were made in America. LOL

My vote would be for Belleville G.I. US Flight/Combat boots.... Tough as nails. Military issue, but looks like they sell civilian now as well.

http://www.gsaboots.com/category.cfm/234

Good luck what ever route you go.

Concur with Will. I love my Desert jungle style boot cause they breath and I hate wet sweaty feet. Those were very comfy over in the desert and anywhere

340d.jpg

Been wearing Red Wings for over 20 years.usually get 2 or 3 years out of a pair.but thats all you can expect when you wear them everyday

Red Wing Pecos for me. I tried em all. Justins being the hands down worste.

Auto Transport Service
Back