• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soliciting opinions on good work boots

im with Propwash. I had a pair of Bates last me 8 years, and just bought my second pair for 40 bucks on ebay and there was no breakin issues.

- - - Updated - - -

im with Propwash. I had a pair of Bates last me 8 years, and just bought my second pair for 40 bucks on ebay and there was no breakin issues.

I used to work construction for PG&E underground Gas and also for a corrosion construction company. The union had the Quenvold's safety boot company truck come by and they paid 50% of any pair of boots we wanted. I tried on a dozen and ended up with some steel toe 8" boots by the brand name Work One. You gotta try out some Work One boots! I have never ever wore a boot so durable or comfortable. I've had mine since 1998 and used them daily the first 3 yrs. The thing that's unique about them to me is the inner sole is this really soft but durable perforated foam and they sell them in widths from B to E. I have a narrow foot so finding a B width was a huge plus. Then the outer sole is where the comfort really comes in - it's a soft rubber that if you push on it with your fingers from the side, it has a plush give to it. You can instantly spot a Work One boot because the outer soles have a thin green line (mid-sole maybe?) around them. My buddies in the water company also all wear Work One and swear by them. They're one of the few boots that you can stand on concrete and they won't hurt your back after hours and hours, but they hold up in the dirt and slick surfaces too.

In terms of overall comfort - imagine how a new basketball shoe feels on the bottom of your foot - now double that comfort and imagine that with the side support of a work boot when you need it, and durability that lasts 20X longer.

You get what you pay for though - they range from $160 to $180, but when they last for 15-20 yrs, who cares? Totally worth it.

Here's a link:
http://workingperson.com/brands/wor...work 1 boots&gclid=CLv2r5LTpLsCFUiGfgodQR4Ayw

I have been wearing the red wing worx shoe (orange soul) for the last 10 years...the last two pair the soul separated from the shoe..the last time he would not give me the same shoe but did up grade me for free.....these shoes are about 1 1/2 years old and starting to show some wear but look good ....I have another pair of red wing hunting boots that I cant get to break in....I have timberlands steel toe on as we speak and they have been my "after" work cold weather shoe this year.

Been wearing red wings for several years, no issues. Tried a pair of carolina boots and hate them. Can't wait to replace them when the boot truck comes again. Hard to break in, sole is coming unglued.
I'm going back to the wings.

I used to work construction for PG&E underground Gas Here's a link:
http://workingperson.com/brands/wor...work 1 boots&gclid=CLv2r5LTpLsCFUiGfgodQR4Ayw

:iamwithstupid: I use to work for GC for PG&E out of Walnut Creek/SF 1977-78-79ish off & on, my Brother In Law was "Taco" a well known engineer in SF, he helped get me the job originally in SF in engineering & I also worked at allot of the power-plants, welding & plastic welding {with a damn iron, what a joke} for GC/Gas & in some track housing & the Walnut Creek/Locust street beautification project, misc. equipment operator & combination welder, I wonder if we've ever crossed paths??

All "Good" info....

And its a difficult thing to do...

Go into a store, try them on for 3 minutes and expect 100 percent comfort and satisfaction for the next 2 to 3 years...

It just does not work.

So, its good to see lots of info on shoes in this thread.

After all, we wear them everyday!

I vote Jungle boots if your going to be in heat/humidity, I love those boots!! My other choice is Wolverine's. I have a pair that has to 8-9 years old and just recently got a tear on the toe covering. Love those boots also.

"Every clime and place"

Worn these for years, steel toe or not. The best boots i've ever owned.

550_ST_main.jpg

http://www.bellevilleboot.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=96

For me, Red Wings are never the wrong answer. All my steel toed boots have been RW's over the years, and even back when I was wearing ST every day, I would get 3-4 years out of a pair (The Pecos slip-on line--they used to call 'em "engineer's boots')

Only problem I've ever had with a RW was this most recent pair I bought, and it was my own darn fault...I've lost about 75# in the last few years, and as such, my feet are somewhat smaller than they used to be--about 1/2 size. I made the same switch in boots when I bought them, tried them in the store, but it was early in the day...even though I know to try shoes at the end of the day.

Long (irrelevant) story short, I got boots a hair too tight that I can't wear all day...but I don't blame RW for that, it's my own doing.

At any rate, the only failure I've ever had of a RW boot was the heel coming un-nailed on a pair of engineer boots many years ago, and I'm not sure any boot would have held up to the incident...and that was on a 5-year old pair of boots I'd worn nearly every day.

Sears Diehards for me as well as about 30 other guys I work with.Pretty sure you cant wear the soles out.They get abused bad and are well worth the $90.

In my opinion, Danner makes the best boots, but like Redwing they'll cost a minimum of $180. I especially like Danner because they are completely hand crafted in the USA. They also have a good re-crafting program. I've also been happy with Timberland. I'm wearing Timberland now, and they're heavier than most, be extremely comfortable.

I have been wearing these for 2 years now and love them since safety toes are required. I have walked miles and miles in them in perfect comfort, they are super light.

Highly Recommend!

http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-PRO-26064-Titan-Safety/dp/B000XEH2JA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403924040&sr=8-1&keywords=timberland+boots+pro+26064

tp26064.jpg

I have been wearing composite toe Work One bots for the last few years. They are, or were owned by the same corporation that makes Thorogood boots. American and union made. They have served me well working in nuclear plants as an iron worker. The composites allow you to wear them through metal detectors.

Hard to beat red Wings, best damn boots I've ever owned. :icon_thumright:

White's SmokeJumpers, steel toe. Custom fit and hand built in Spokane, WA. Lifetime commitment because of the price, can be a bear to break in. I've had mine rebuilt twice in the last 26 years, don't wear them as much as I used to. Vibram sole, lined, waterproof welt, very solid.
I had a similar pair of RedWings years ago, good boot, but the leather was not the quality of the White's, the welt construction was not as strong, nor did they last. I had some Danners as winter work boots, no steel toe, little light for heavy construction work, really a hunting boot, beautifully built, Vibram, (Thin)sulated, lace to toe which helps the fit for me. Very nice, they only make this boot in black now. I had some Carolinas, similar to the RWs and White's, Vibram sole, single layer of leather, midsole not the quality I needed, weak I thought.
I went through a couple of pair of the Pecos line from RedWing. I tend to wear pull ons now as I am in and out of my house day and night at work, and need steel or composite toe and a Vibram type sole. The quality of the RW across the board seems to have dropped in the last four years. I broke both of them in the midsole and they cracked right under the ball of my foot. I switched back to Ariats even thought the RW fit a little better. I am admittedly hard on boots.
Boots are tools for me, critical to my work. I spend money to get quality, just like I dont buy sheeite off of EBay or at HarborFreight and expect it to last.
I have no experience with the Wolverine, Timberland, Cat, whatever, but I've looked at the quality of them in the store and seen enough of them here in the patch to know they are too soft for me and I would likely not get the mileage I need out of them.

I wear Baffins in the winter (pure cold weather and no steel toe) Muck boots mostly in spring / rainey seasons, and Bates / belleviews (desert boots) as long as my feet aren't freezing and have dry conditions. They are great all around boots.
Caterpillars lasted me less than 2 months, utter junk, red wings less than 1 year of service, so I wont waste my money on either of these.
Timberlands are good but spendy so I won't wear them under the conditions I work in.
I had an issued pair of black / green jungle boots (old vietnam surplus) on my first hitch in the service I wore them sparingly and they lasted 19 years before I had to let em go, they were the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.

Red Wings are very comfortable however they do not hold as well or any better under hard conditions than most other boots. When i was going full tilt i wore out the toes and heels of 8'' steel toe Timberlines,Carolinas,Red Wings. in 6 months. This was due to working on my hands and knees often and wearing them seven days a week. Its been my experience that no safety work boot is waterproof. They all leak after awhile. Ive been going with a 8'' insulated steel toe Timberline,the ones i have now are decent other that the steel toe is showing on both shoes which makes them worthless when walking through even a little water.

Auto Transport Service
Back