• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLVED: Need to remove silicone from plastic lens

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
4:30 AM
Reaction score
Outer front turn signal lens for the Cuda has black RTV silicone stuck on it. Some idiot used RTV to glue the inner lens to the outer lens because one screw was broken off.

How can I remove all of it without damaging the clear plastic lens?

Are these lenses made of acrylic plastic?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20221101_112917800.jpg

Last edited:
The interwebs says use 99% isopropyl alcohol. Will that do it?

Also, avoid Xylene and methylated spirits. Is that another name for mineral spirits? What about gasoline?

Last edited:
Like sanding etc, start with the least aggressive. Overnight soak with this?

49C8068B-AE03-4BD9-A16B-A250D4BFB89E.png

Outer front turn signal lens for the Cuda has black RTV silicone stuck on it. Some idiot used RTV to glue the inner lens to the outer lens because one screw was broken off.

How can I remove all of it without damaging the clear plastic lens?

Are these lenses made of acrylic plastic?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1366834
Idiot you say?
You call that silicone?

20210402_153312.jpg
20210402_153317.jpg
20210402_153322.jpg

That's silicone!
What are some people thinking?

WD40 works well dissolving the RTV, and won't melt the plastic.

If it' cloudy/scratched afterward if you have a buffing wheel try that with white or red compound. Go easy at first.

I bought Kingsford odorless charcoal lighter fluid and soaked the dried silicone for 2 hours. That was enough to soften it so I could use a plastic scraper and a brass bristle brush to remove most of the silicone. I used a red shop rag and rubbed the stubborn spots away.

I used a 3M headlight restoration kit to polish the lenses.

Thanks everyone.

Auto Transport Service
Back