• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Car Gawkers

I've found a pattern with a few dudes I know who like to tell ya how much they 'know' about cars and that their opinion somehow ranks as the best one: They're good at finding the oil dipstick; but not much more...lol

As you might imagine given my propensity for croaking these last several years, this very discussion has come up
once or twice with the wife and I.
As much as I've tried to talk sense to her about the benefit of selling Fred one day for her, she'll have none of it...
She doesn't even want to drive the car now, but she wants to keep "him" after I'm gone just the same.
'Course, that might change after I'm toast, but that's her adamant position on the subject nowadays -
she knows that car has as much "me" in it as it has been meaningful to me to go through the process with it
this last 11 years.
It doesn't really matter what make/model/year Fred is - she'd feel the same way regardless.

Come to think of it, so would I.

@moparedtn , dear friend/neighbor who passed 10 years ago had several ORIGINAL Chevys; he passed, his widow Gloria had got several friends of Al's to pickup the cars for selling: when THEIR prized 57 pulled out of driveway & went down the street, she called him to bring it HOME, she couldnt sell it. Sounds like Fred will stay HOME, period. Fred IS part of TN ED.

Last edited:
MoPar is my 1st love
But, it's not my only interest
I like many cars/trucks/jeeps or 4x4's,
even qauds, motorcycles, boats, trailers, even equipment etc.

I'm an equal opportunity gearhead
some stuff I don't like
some stuff I'm opinionated about liking or disliking

if you don't want to hear anything bad
stay in your tight lil' safe bubble
& don't ask the questions or for peoples opinions
you will get your feeling hurt, if you're that type of person
someone always doesn't like something

on the other side
you don't need people giving you grief,
when it's not warranted too, or asked for either
they/you can keep their trap shut

But;
be careful what you ask for,
if you're easily offended

I rarely hate any car,
it's usually the person/s (sometimes a type) behind the car
I dislike
I rarely hate anything
that's just too far one way (except in politics)
It's usually far more than it's the person than the car/any car year etc.,
the car is just an inanimate object
it's the people that own them, is the issue 99% of the time
some people just give off a bad vibe too

It seems some car guys gravitate to certain years,
makes, or models or even a specific style/s
or even some select crowds (think & act or look-alike)
some gravitate to other specific years, makes, or models
or a specific style/s (human nature)
that's all OK with me too
it's theirs to buy, own & do with, what they please

But;
If you ask
someone & they tell you an honest opinion,
or you make a statement & someone says something to the contrary
of what you want to hear, especially when discussing cars
& you get your fragile feelings hurt, then it's on you then...
You asked or you made a statement,
just deal with it or live with it

'Not that there's anything wrong with that'

Wall of text -holy wall of text Batman-.jpg

Last edited:
we used to have mopars at the strip here in vegas , it was great , then they decided to go with muscle cars at the strip, I think it sucks now I don't go anymore, I have more fun going to the local car gathering on sunday morning for an hour or so and heading home

MoPar is my 1st love
But, it's not my only interest
I like many cars/trucks/jeeps or 4x4's,
even qauds, motorcycles, boats, trailers, even equipment etc.

I'm an equal opportunity gearhead
some stuff I don't like
some stuff I'm opinionated about liking or disliking

if you don't want to hear anything bad
stay in your tight lil' safe bubble
& don't ask the questions or for peoples opinions
you will get your feeling hurt, if you're that type of person
someone always doesn't like something

on the other side
you don't need people giving you grief,
when it's not warranted too, or asked for either
they/you can keep their trap shut

But;
be careful what you ask for,
if you're easily offended

I rarely hate any car,
it's usually the person/s (sometimes a type) behind the car
I dislike
I rarely hate anything
that's just too far one way (except in politics)
It's usually far more than it's the person than the car/any car year etc.,
the car is just an inanimate object
it's the people that own them, is the issue 99% of the time
some people just give off a bad vibe too

It seems some car guys gravitate to certain years,
makes, or models or even a specific style/s
or even some select crowds (think & act or look-alike)
some gravitate to other specific years, makes, or models
or a specific style/s (human nature)
that's all OK with me too
it's theirs to buy, own & do with, what they please

But;
If you ask
someone & they tell you an honest opinion,
or you make a statement & someone says something to the contrary
of what you want to hear, especially when discussing cars
& you get your fragile feelings hurt, then it's on you then...
You asked or you made a statement,
just deal with it or live with it

'Not that there's anything wrong with that'

View attachment 1111448
Well put, I’m an equal opp gear head as well. I have a top five and ten list of cars I’d like to own (and did have a couple at one time). GTO’s are an almost non-descript 2nd for me, could be…my 1st car was a ’67 goat and my brother (and mom) had owned a few. Had two ’57 T-Birds in the family (among a few others) and that year bird is just a standout with me. Also was a big fan of the late ‘60’s and ’70 Shelby stangs. There’s a few Chev’s I’d like to own; but then if I get to thinking on how many mopars I’d like to have, da list gets a lot longer.

If you look hard enough between a 66-300 & a 66-GTO, there's a lot of body similar lines and looks, it'd be my 2nd for sure! I always liked the look!

If you look hard enough between a 66-300 & a 66-GTO, there's a lot of body similar lines and looks, it'd be my 2nd for sure! I always liked the look!
Truly - IMO - da golden era of automotive design for the big-3 was the late 50's to the early 70's. Hard to count all of them that I thought were just so friggin pretty. I'm biased I suppose given my vintage.

Folks runnin' around looking for new opportunities to get offended, left and right...
Lordy.
I used to want to "correct" know-it-alls all the time at shows and such; man, that
just made me as irritated as some of y'all profess to be now sometimes.

Nowadays, I tend to look at it same way as a trip to Wally World - a "target-rich environment"
as it were. :)
The wife gets aggravated at the unwashed rude denizens who frequent that store....
Me, I tend to have some fun with 'em, which includes reminding them of the manners their
(supposed) parents tried to teach them sometimes. :)
Still others seem to welcome the shattering of the usual "heads down, don't speak" shopping
technique and jump in and have fun with me, which is sweet!

It's funny how folks tend to "straighten up" their act when you directly engage them, both in
speaking and in eye contact - and that includes their attempts at spewing incorrect "facts"
about cars as they pass through.
Try it. It's fun! :thumbsup:

Folks runnin' around looking for new opportunities to get offended, left and right...
Lordy.
I used to want to "correct" know-it-alls all the time at shows and such; man, that
just made me as irritated as some of y'all profess to be now sometimes.

Nowadays, I tend to look at it same way as a trip to Wally World - a "target-rich environment"
as it were. :)
The wife gets aggravated at the unwashed rude denizens who frequent that store....
Me, I tend to have some fun with 'em, which includes reminding them of the manners their
(supposed) parents tried to teach them sometimes. :)
Still others seem to welcome the shattering of the usual "heads down, don't speak" shopping
technique and jump in and have fun with me, which is sweet!

It's funny how folks tend to "straighten up" their act when you directly engage them, both in
speaking and in eye contact - and that includes their attempts at spewing incorrect "facts"
about cars as they pass through.
Try it. It's fun! :thumbsup:
I volunteered some years ago to do the grocery shopping after my wife did it for years when I started my biz. I had days where I’d get back home early-mid-afternoon or have open mornings while she had the 9 to 5 routine. She reminds me of the days when she took our kids when they were little to the store…so my payback for this likely won’t expire, lol. Well there’s certainly some attractive gals to eye up in some of their outfits and I make sure not to look too long. Today some of them wear those skin tight pants that look painted on showing off ‘every’ curve including their butt crack! I mean how does one old geezer not take some notice? And then there are some who ahh…really shouldn’t wear those.

Where am I going with this? IMO, it’s not my place to engage in idle chat with another doing what I’m doing at the store or tell them what I think such as “Do you know how much your tights show off the depth of your butt crack”? If some guy in the parking lot looking at my car striking up a chat as I get out or getting back in it running errands, wants to have me take my time for a chat and then wants to offer me his opinions about his personal dislike for the year, or style, do I friggin need to hear this? Fine the dude doesn’t like it, there’s lots of cars I wasn’t attracted to either, like all of us. But, WDF hey, I’m not about to tell the owner this or think telling him this is something he needs to hear. Ya don’t like it? Don’t look at it much more strike up a chat about it. Thin skin? No, could give a rip; but take up my time to be a flaming asshole is another thing. This so rarely happens; but a mystery what a few dudes are friggin thinking.

I volunteered some years ago to do the grocery shopping after my wife did it for years when I started my biz. I had days where I’d get back home early-mid-afternoon or have open mornings while she had the 9 to 5 routine. She reminds me of the days when she took our kids when they were little to the store…so my payback for this likely won’t expire, lol. Well there’s certainly some attractive gals to eye up in some of their outfits and I make sure not to look too long. Today some of them wear those skin tight pants that look painted on showing off ‘every’ curve including their butt crack! I mean how does one old geezer not take some notice? And then there are some who ahh…really shouldn’t wear those.

Where am I going with this? IMO, it’s not my place to engage in idle chat with another doing what I’m doing at the store or tell them what I think such as “Do you know how much your tights show off the depth of your butt crack”? If some guy in the parking lot looking at my car striking up a chat as I get out or getting back in it running errands, wants to have me take my time for a chat and then wants to offer me his opinions about his personal dislike for the year, or style, do I friggin need to hear this? Fine the dude doesn’t like it, there’s lots of cars I wasn’t attracted to either, like all of us. But, WDF hey, I’m not about to tell the owner this or think telling him this is something he needs to hear. Ya don’t like it? Don’t look at it much more strike up a chat about it. Thin skin? No, could give a rip; but take up my time to be a flaming asshole is another thing. This so rarely happens; but a mystery what a few dudes are friggin thinking.
I gotta say - I've never, not once that I can recall, run across the type you're describing.
Must be a yankee thing... :poke:

Chances are about 100% that if someone has worked up the nerve to approach me/us in a parking lot or
at a cruise-in, they're doing so because they LIKE the car, after all. Just makes sense...
and if one of them ever goes off on such a tangent as you describe, that's walkin' away time!

There are still some standards of behavior here in the south that we sort of insist on - we're not only likely
to be cordial to strangers, we INSIST on it - and yes, that's probably the #1 most surprising thing someone
from more northern parts of the country notices when they come down for a visit.
It blows their minds that strangers will not only strike up a conversation with them "cold" in line at the gas
station or store, but that they'll hold an entire conversation with 'em like they've known them for years.
First time my wife (from NH originally) was exposed to it, when we walked away, she asked me if I knew
"those people" we had just chatted with.
When I said "nope", the look on her face was priceless. :)
"Welcome to the south, dear" I said. :lol:

Oh - and in regards to that whole thing you got about young chicks in anatomically correct clothing, well
duh - of COURSE we're gonna look, stealthily if we've learned anything in this life....
and of course NOT, we're not gonna make rude comments to them about their attire - again, duh.
That's not what I'm talking about.

It's this simple - I used to be more like folks you describe - an "asshole" of sorts who kept to himself
more, didn't speak much to strangers out of expectations that some of them were also ********, bigger
ones even.
Well, that **** didn't work for me....especially after I kicked the can a couple-three times.

The Ed that has emerged from a half dozen cancers and three flatline experiences, in whatever short time
I have left above dirt here, isn't going to go around in fear or anger or with a stick up my arse.
I'm going to ENJOY other people, experiences, the little things in life, least as much as I can - and here
in the south, I'm in the PERFECT place to do so.
If someone's out of line, they'll get left in the dust or if need be, corrected on the spot.
Homey ain't got time for that. :thumbsup:

My love for the old Mopar iron started with my Dad and Grandpa , Dad bought a 58 Dodge Royal Lancer when I was 9 years old, big motor , two 4’s and mega compression, black and red interior, Someone ask him why in world would you buy such a beast , his answer was so I can drive around almost anything on the road , and after nearly dying in the big war (2) because I don’t have to ask your permission for anything! Have loved them all and owned several nice ones because i worked like a Trojan on Pipeline jobs to pay for what I wanted and family needed, No Government handouts wanted , not today or EVER!

Auto Transport Service
Back