• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some carb and air cleaner mystery solved, kind of

dammstrate

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
So for the ones following my threads about the no snorkle air cleaner.......went to replace the Holley with a Edel 1411 AFB Performer. Found this:
- the really nice Mopar aftermarket intake PN 5153235 is 2" higher than stock
- that necessitated a recessed air cleaner base so as not to hit the hood when shut
- that recessed air cleaner base hits the top inlet AFB fuel line
- that necessitated a Holley carb with angled down fuel inlets, this one is a 750cfm double pumper

My choices:
- put back the original intake that came with the car, and find a flat air cleaner base (lose the cool aluminum look and maybe a small bit of performance)
- keep the whole intake/Holley system, which runs/drives just fine and seems strong, and it hidden under he air cleaner anyway and wince that my
mostly stock 67 R/T has a non-AFB carb

I have heard not so good info about Holley double pumpers for the street, run too rich and can cause cylinder wear.
--> comments on the double pumper for the street?

20220719_144119[1].jpg

20220731_174331.jpg

20220731_174344.jpg

I have heard that too about double pumpers. I think it is a load of crap. If you have a 750 vacuum secondary, and a 750 double pumper, and both have the same jets, and power valve, and you drive on the primaries, how can it get worse mileage, or be more troublesome?

I have heard that too about double pumpers. I think it is a load of crap. If you have a 750 vacuum secondary, and a 750 double pumper, and both have the same jets, and power valve, and you drive on the primaries, how can it get worse mileage, or be more troublesome?

Well.. You might want to re-check that statement... The double pumper has smaller PVCR's and four steps larger jetting... You can put the same size jets in a double pumper but you need to open up the PVCR's... I ran a 700 DP for years, and yes & down sized the jets & opened up the PVCR's... I did a lot of tweaks to make the Holley perfect... But it is adjustable so getting it perfect was pretty easy... The Edelbrock before it sucked... I love the earlier Carter carbs but the Edelbrocks not so much.. More recently I've gone to EFI & love it.... If I want to tweak the tune I grab my hand held controller, not need to work on a hot engine, spilling a little fuel so I need to worry about fire either burning me or my car.. And I don't wind up smelling like gasoline...

Several manufacturers make a right angle "hard" fuel line for Carters/Edelbrocks that run the line straight
down out of the inlet, then under the choke housing to the front of the carb.
A drop type air cleaner would work fine with such a fuel line.
I'd recommend an AVS type Carter/Edelbrock carburetor for the street, utilizing that fuel line.

Well.. You might want to re-check that statement... The double pumper has smaller PVCR's and four steps larger jetting... You can put the same size jets in a double pumper but you need to open up the PVCR's... I ran a 700 DP for years, and yes & down sized the jets & opened up the PVCR's... I did a lot of tweaks to make the Holley perfect... But it is adjustable so getting it perfect was pretty easy... The Edelbrock before it sucked... I love the earlier Carter carbs but the Edelbrocks not so much.. More recently I've gone to EFI & love it.... If I want to tweak the tune I grab my hand held controller, not need to work on a hot engine, spilling a little fuel so I need to worry about fire either burning me or my car.. And I don't wind up smelling like gasoline...
So, that is why I said the jetting, and power valve were the same. You basically proved my point. Maybe someone would still need to open up the PV circuit, though not that big of a deal.

So, that is why I said the jetting, and power valve were the same. You basically proved my point. Maybe someone would still need to open up the PV circuit, though not that big of a deal.
They aren't the same, not even close.. They can be made the same by swapping jets & drilling the PVCR's.. Assuming you have a pin drill & the micro drill bits & the skills to use them without creating other problems..

If you don't open up the PVCR's but still drop four sizes on the jets the carb will be seriously lean

Holy crap moparedtn, I fished around and found it. This just may solve all my perceived problems. Thanks!

Yep…like Moparedtn stated and you’ve seen yourself…

mine has a 90 with a banjo bolt…factory air cleaner fits fine…

5BA3A186-5AA7-400A-9F91-867E659DACC0.jpeg

You should be able to put a 90 degree fitting into the Eddy and point it down like what was used on the 426 Hemi and change the upper fuel line.

Auto Transport Service
Back