• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some compatibility questions

mhonkieys

Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys (And girls?)

New member here, I have a 73 coronet custom that has been sitting in my drive way far too long. Here is my car domain page pre-restoration work beginning: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3104474/1972-dodge-coronet/

As I drove it I noticed more and more she needed a lot of fixing up to be restored to her former glory and to shorten things up, I've finally gotten to a point where it's body is sanded/primered and straight as can be and now I'd like to turn my attention to the interior/rebuilding the suspension, polishing stuff up before I finish off with paint.

My main problem is most online parts companies (even if they have parts that fit) don't have the vehicle in their database or have pretty limited fit/application information.

I know for the most part a b-body is a b-body as long as it is of the same year, how far does that go though? Any of you have some experience with slight variances? Anything I should watch out for (Unexpected differences?)

I'm also interested in any recommendations on improving the steering (specifically straight line/highway speed steering) as she likes to wander and sway a good bit. I also have a sag in the back (Passenger rear) and I'm trying to contemplate whether or not I should replace the leaf springs altogether or try something like add a leaf? (I don't want to waste my money on something that won't do the job right.)

Also any tips on discounted mopar stuff or good companies/people to do business with would be appreciated ;)

Welcome to the site! The first thing you're going to be finding is 1973 is the start of the red-headed step child portion of the muscle car era. :) For B Body Mopars, you can find just about anything for 68-72 cars, but 73 and later are a totally different story. There are a lot of parts from 71-72 cars that will work on a 73, which helps, but these are mainly interior parts. The front suspension, bumpers, most body panels, and some engine accessories are different on 73 cars, and many are different again for 74 cars. I have a 74 car, and it has lots of 71, 72, and 73 parts from Chargers, Satellites, and Road Runners in it, but I'm not picky about sourcing. I'm more of a fit over style kind of guy.

As for your sag, which most of us have had to deal with, the world is your oyster. You can have your springs reshaped if you can find someone who does it, or you can replace the springs. You can also replace the rear suspension with coil springs if you're an inventive kind of owner.

Perhaps post a list of parts you are needing and one of us can tell you a potential donor source.

Perhaps post a list of parts you are needing and one of us can tell you a potential donor source.

Appreciate the offer, most recently I've been looking for a complete bushing master set/kit Seems a lot more practical/economical than buying them in ones and twos (For the front-end suspension) Also interested in rear end suspension stuff.

Coincidentally, if anyone has any ideas of where to source period police stuff I'd be very grateful, my plan is to make it a reproduction police model coronet including spot lights and light bar. Also any opinions/suggestions on the various police model colors would be appreciated. I'm still torn between a black and white or solid color option.

You mean front suspension bushings?

Mine came from PST in their "small" poly-graphite kit, and I ordered the difference from other sources ( I reccomend rockauto.com), as it was a bit cheaper to do it that way versus the "complete" kit.

What rear parts are you looking for?

Sway bars from Cordobas work, and there are still a few of those showing up in junk yards.

- - - Updated - - -

http://copcar.com/

Auto Transport Service
Back