• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some GOOD news about the EPA.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
Smog Police to Put Less Scrutiny on Emissions-Defeating Parts
The EPA falls back on its hard-core push to eliminate aftermarket “defeat devices.”

HOT ROD Aug 18, 2023

As the well-abused news phrase goes, "in a dramatic turn of events," the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released its final National Enforcement and Compliance Initiative (NECI) for 2024 through 2027, outlining the agency's top enforcement priorities for the coming years.
Noticeably absent from the three-year plan is: "Stopping Aftermarket Defeat Device for Vehicles and Engines" as a top-level priority. And what are defeat devices? They're aftermarket parts or software, such as modified exhausts or chip tuning products and services, that inhibit or bypass a vehicle's emissions controls. Now, enforcement of aftermarket parts is once again of standard "core" importance, as it had been for many years until 2020. The change is a testament to the efforts of popular aftermarket-performance companies, SEMA, and the SEMA Garage-to develop products that meet emission standards set by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).

Although this is great news for makers of aftermarket ECM tuning devices and businesses, especially in the diesel segment of the aftermarket-performance industry, it does not suggest or mean that the EPA is now completely turning its back to technologies—old, and new—that are not compliant with CARB emission standards. In English, they're definitely still watching, but apparently, it will not be at a level that brings about the shop raids (and their subsequent fines) that have occurred in recent years. And, for those who still don't quite get it, setting diesel rigs up to "roll coal" will forever be a huge no-no.

"The EPA's decision to remove enforcement against aftermarket products from the NECI and return it to a standard priority is a recognition of our industry's commitment to emissions compliance and the progress we've made," says SEMA President and CEO Mike Spagnola.
"I am proud of the investments SEMA has made to ensure our member companies are able to sell high-performance, emissions-compliant products that millions of automotive enthusiasts demand. SEMA looks forward to working with the EPA to provide aftermarket businesses with clear and consistent guidance regarding the types of modifications that are legal, as well as an effective certification program that companies can rely on."

This really is good news for high-performance enthusiasts. Again, it's not a free-for-all to start tuning engines for max polluting. More so, it is an acknowledgement by the EPA that the industry is making inroads toward "clean" performance—gas and diesel—becoming a standard throughout the U.S.

Apparently their focus will be on “Environmental Justice”. Ugh.

I was going to comment… then I realized this isn’t the political forum.

Something I jut recently found out that bugs me, American made diesel pickups for the some foreign markets, are built without all emission crap. And I think anything else that could be said about will be inappropriate for general discussion

I can feel it all pent up in this thread already...keep suppressing it fellas lol.

1692887305858.png

on the same topic, today's WSJ article relates that EPA has concluded that making fuel mileage standards more stringent would ...cost the taxpayer, and result in: 0.000% CO2 (= no measurable) reduction. The WSJ compliments their unusual honesty. You can't make this stuff up.
Short smog story: Late 78, I delivered an F-100 Super Sabre from the MASS ANG to Mojave, alone, transcontinental with only 2 air-to-air refuelings, and no autopilot! With extra gas, I made a practice approach into Norton AFB near Riverside. The air in the LA basin was YELLOW with smog. I could see everywhere 100 miles above about 8000' but couldn't see the runway looking down. The smog had not filtered over into the high desert, and Edwards and Mojave were CAVU (cieling and visibility unlimited, or as the Brits would say..."gin clear"!) So when i see the development there now, I worry about the air. At least now there is a commuter train from Lancaster to LA. Preferable to the I-5, I405 parking lots...

Uh-oh EPA just pulled the plug on SEMA's cash cow. Wonder what "cause" they will be begging for next. Gotta keep the coffers full to fund that big exclusive "rub it in your face of the little man" party in Las Vegas every year.

Can't help but wonder....what will happen AFTER the 3 year plan in '27. This is very similar to the $600 annual threshold for income reported from 3rd party (paypal) services. That one was "delayed" one year. Guess what, it still happened.

Cummins Forum (CF) about 2 years ago came out with a rule that they wouldn’t allow new threads about “deleting”. They said the reason was because the EPA used CF as an example of where people were going to find out how to get around “emissions”.

They said to use the “search” function if you wanted to learn anything cause those threads were gonna be left alone, but any NEW thread would be closed immediately.

CF is a Canadian owned company and as such, if you didn’t or don’t like the new rule, too bad!

I pointed out that CF is doing business in the USA and as such, must follow US Law, free speech was my angle. There certainly is a bunch little snot bubble ******* on that forum cause I got a “vacation” for pointing it out and it was considered “antagonistic”! I told the moderator (1 of many sissy’s) that asking questions isn’t being antagonistic, it’s trying to understand your (CF’s) BS. Still got the vacation.

I get it, nobody wants to be walking down the street and t-bag rolls coal on ya, I like breathing clean air as much as the next guy.

I enjoy that forum, learned a lot, but I have a problem with anyone or company, that restricts free speech.

Far as I'm concerned the only "good news" about that agency would be if it had been totally defunded....

Last edited:
Far as I'm concerned the only "good news" about that agency would be if it had been totally defunded....
I can agree with that. I also see that they should be protecting the U.S. from giant corporations that make a mess due to poor management, including foreign governments working here, with total disregard for the general public.
Not screwing around all day looking at you tube for a guy that deleted his emission controls and made a video, or trolling sites like this looking for offenders. If half the Hellcat owners removed their cats it would amount to a fart in a hurricane toward global warming.

Not applicable for NJ, NY, PA, CT, RI, MASS (except Martha's Vineyard). In NJ, the Department Of Enviromental Protection ("DEP") is NOT the same as EPA, they march to THEIR own rules & dictate to NJ MVC.

Not applicable for NJ, NY, PA, CT, RI, MASS (except Martha's Vineyard). In NJ, the Department Of Enviromental Protection ("DEP") is NOT the same as EPA, they march to THEIR own rules & dictate to NJ MVC.
Can't speak for others but PaDEP just monitors gasoline vehicle emissions in certain counties. They would I'm sure March into your shop and shut you down if you were doing blatant emission defeats. I believe they are smart enough to just sit back and shake the envelopes of yearly emission testing on cars that are under warranty.

Can't speak for others but PaDEP just monitors gasoline vehicle emissions in certain counties. They would I'm sure March into your shop and shut you down if you were doing blatant emission defeats. I believe they are smart enough to just sit back and shake the envelopes of yearly emission testing on cars that are under warranty.
Yea, the "county lines" hold the emmissions within the county. :lol:

EPA, and all of their programs, covers all the states. No exception. The NEIC is equivalent to Nazi Germany Gestapo. Not being on their 3 year priority list is a good thing.

State environmental agencies will have focused enforcement departments as well, but they pale in comparison to the NEIC.

Auto Transport Service
Back