• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something Wrong With Passenger Side of Engine?

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
my son’s new project car. It sounds like there’s something slightly wrong with the passenger side of the engine. Can you tell by the video I posted what it is?

I can also post to Vimeo if needed.

Thanks!

My Channel

It could be a burnt valve or a cylinder not firing correctly. Do a compression check.
Start there.

Sounds a bit like a cylinder is missing to me. Check the spark plugs and ignition wires. If it’s mechanical, a compression check will help identify a weak or dead cylinder.

Possibly something as simple as two plug wires reversed...easy stuff 1st.

Running fine before and then took a crap or this way from the start? More info might help this along...

That is an intermittent miss. Just about bet its on the ignition secondary side. I doubt it is a internal engine problem. Start by checking the wires and plugs along with the cap and rotor. My bets its a wire.

Checked the wires they all seemed fine, we had an extra distributor cap so we suck the new one on, it is still clanking around like before. it also spit out liquids not much but something was coming out of the exhaust

Here’s a video. With the headers and it’s a 440 it’s really tight to get to the spark plugs!

DBA7B431-6411-4229-B492-03CCF79DE9FB.jpeg

That sounds exactly like when a spark plug boot backs off the plug just enough to lose contact. It looks like it's still hooked up but when you push on the boot it will go a bit further.

I had a set of MSD wires on my 440 that would back off the plugs. Did it during a cam break in. The worst possible time for it to happen!

Last edited:
And since you're using headers...turn off the lights in the garage or outside in the dark and look for sparks arching around from the plug wires.

and I would move that metal fuel filter away from the coil and plug wires if it was mine

Yes, lots to do. Filters and hoses disconnected or in the wrong place. Needs some wire brackets. All the help is appreciated!

We found one wire that was loose and that seemed to make the engine run a little more smoothly. We drove it and realized the sound only occurred during deceleration or idle. While under the car we found a round plate that sits on the side of the exhaust manifold. When idling the plate moves back and forth, and when it does, the sound comes back. It’s an exhaust diverter.

Auto Transport Service
Back