• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sometimes patience and EBay payoff

peakandscoot

Local time
2:59 PM
Reaction score
In the past i have complained about to many sellers on EBAY think their stuff is gold and its funny most of the over priced things are still there unsold. So im not complaining anymore you can ask as much as you want but the market has the last word. While there is nothing i truly need but things i would like its my hobby to search. Patients paid off. I found old new stock tail lights for my 62 Fury at a great price. They made money i got what i wanted, it was posted for less than a day, everyone walked away happy. $80 each, new lenses alone are 20-$30 add in the wiring, gaskets, and nuts and im way under 50 apiece for the the bezel. For me to have my original bezels rechromed it would cost me a lot more than that. Look how nice these are. Patience payed off this time.

20170811_180115.jpg

I agree some vendors ask crazy price. Seen some sell. Been watching for rear rubber cushions for my 66 Satellite for years. A pair NOS came up $595 they sold. Week later a single NOS one came up $195. Was there for 6 weeks but it sold.
Now the good I bought a pair of head light bezel. Guy listed as use but thought they were NOS. I'm sure they're NOS, $220 shipped.

I had a set of Legendary seat covers that I had been trying to sell for the longest time on e-bay and they never moved. Gave up and they had sat in the garage for a while, checked prices of what they currently go for and tried again on e-bay. Gone within 3 hours, go figure?

In the past i have complained about to many sellers on EBAY think their stuff is gold and its funny most of the over priced things are still there unsold. So im not complaining anymore you can ask as much as you want but the market has the last word. While there is nothing i truly need but things i would like its my hobby to search. Patients paid off. I found old new stock tail lights for my 62 Fury at a great price. They made money i got what i wanted, it was posted for less than a day, everyone walked away happy. $80 each, new lenses alone are 20-$30 add in the wiring, gaskets, and nuts and im way under 50 apiece for the the bezel. For me to have my original bezels rechromed it would cost me a lot more than that. Look how nice these are. Patience payed off this time.

View attachment 500166
The only market place where shipping is twice the cost of the item.

View attachment 500166
\
You can buy a pair of new outer bezels for $1200. :rolleyes:

P9170528.JPG

I've wanted a cj10a for years. Never found one close let alone at a good deal. But a few weeks ago just happened to type it in and one popped up one in Atlanta. Two nights later I was the only bidder so got one at a third of what they go for. Round trip was 400 miles but who cares. Now to build it...
IMG_20170722_094944.jpg

Last edited:
Every now and then, someone will list something in the wrong category or under the wrong year vehicle and it will go unnoticed. Bid on it at the last minute and it's yours at a bargain.

I remember finding a full set of factory spinner hubcaps for my '62 Polara 500. The seller listed them as a set off of a 880 Dodge. Well, they were used on them too. He stated his grandfather had removed them when the car was new and had stored them away. They looked like brand new and I was the only bidder. $50! I contacted him after winning the bid and asked him to make sure he places heavy cardboard between each one for shipment. He did good! I did better!

\
You can buy a pair of new outer bezels for $1200. :rolleyes:

View attachment 500370
I do realize they are hard to come by. But there are not that many people looking for them. Second and most important is no matter how much money you spend on a 62 they will not increase in value and no one is willing to pay much for them. I have 62 Fury convertible, I saw one for sale 2 months ago on the east cost of Florida so i drove a couple hours over there to look at it. It was a very nice car. The guy complained how he has had it listed everywhere in the high 20s and no one has even called to see it. So from that from that stand point anyone who paid that much for a single piece of trim is not making a good decision. My car is intact, but if i find a good deal i may make an upgrade like i did with the bezels, but before i paid 1200 for head light bezels i would make some from cardboard and tin foil. I did have one that was dinged up and last year i pick up a perfect one off a Savoy buried in the mountains of West Virginia along with some trim i needed. I paid less than $50. The fun for me is the hunt.

I do realize they are hard to come by. But there are not that many people looking for them. Second and most important is no matter how much money you spend on a 62 they will not increase in value and no one is willing to pay much for them. I have 62 Fury convertible, I saw one for sale 2 months ago on the east cost of Florida so i drove a couple hours over there to look at it. It was a very nice car. The guy complained how he has had it listed everywhere in the high 20s and no one has even called to see it. So from that from that stand point anyone who paid that much for a single piece of trim is not making a good decision. My car is intact, but if i find a good deal i may make an upgrade like i did with the bezels, but before i paid 1200 for head light bezels i would make some from cardboard and tin foil. I did have one that was dinged up and last year i pick up a perfect one off a Savoy buried in the mountains of West Virginia along with some trim i needed. I paid less than $50. The fun for me is the hunt.

If you knew what I turned down for this it would boggle your mind !!

Bill,s 62 wgn 067.jpg
Picture 108.jpg

The best ebay trick is to search by "Newly Listed" and not "Best Match". If you use Best Match most of the good deals are long gone. The good deals get snapped up fast, so if you can catch them when they get listed, you're more likely to buy them.

I think we're going to start seeing a drop in the high $$$ parts. Vendors had those prices because they were selling to restorers who will pay any price if they have a project that must get done and they're losing money everyday it's waiting for parts. Now that restorations are decreasing, that market is going to start to dry up.

The best ebay trick is to search by "Newly Listed" and not "Best Match". If you use Best Match most of the good deals are long gone. The good deals get snapped up fast, so if you can catch them when they get listed, you're more likely to buy them.

I think we're going to start seeing a drop in the high $$$ parts. Vendors had those prices because they were selling to restorers who will pay any price if they have a project that must get done and they're losing money everyday it's waiting for parts. Now that restorations are decreasing, that market is going to start to dry up.

Agree Buz about newly listed. Ebay throws a sucker punch once in awhile. They change my searches to Best Match, I catch it
when there's no list date. The piss off is resaving the search as newly listed and deleting BM search. One gripe about some sellers auctions end at say 4 am

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back