• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOS! Please give me some 727 tips.

Ben Bolles

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
I have a 727 im going to attempt my first trans rebuild. It's a mid 80s 727. I know about the book for it. My questions for now are what's a good kit for my rebuild and a good valve body. Also my cooler lines are broke? Off im not quite sure. Thanks for your input!

20181005_182554.jpg 20181005_182624.jpg

First off, get the broke off fitting out.....and there's plenty of info on rebuilding one.

Get an "Easy-Out" and screw it into the broken fittings. They're left-handed, so as it bites in,
it removes the fittings. No big deal. Lots of info on rebuilding. Good Luck!

I rebuilt mine about 18 months ago - my first time. I bought most of my parts from MAKCO.
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/A727tcE.html

I also used TSR for a few parts. The owner who has died authored the infamous A727 book on rebuilding that everyone references.
https://www.tsr-racing.com/front-page-products-249/powerglide-transmission-np-208-4x4-combo.html

I replaced my torque converter with a Hughes.

Sonnax is a great sort for upgrade parts and repair parts.
https://www.sonnax.com/categories/3-transmission

Good luck

Transtar Industries will have all you need (lots of locations, or online)

This series is pretty good viewing. Check it out.

Last edited:
Well I got the fittings out with a ez out. I'm going to see if the trans is good worst comes worst I have to pull it and rebuild it

I'm very happy with the 2 Cope 727's I've had, 1st a street manual valve body, now a race manual valve body. I also just built a 727 for a customer using all Cope parts. Very satisfied with the components. Make sure you understand what internal component combination you want for your application. There are numerous combinations of stock parts, understand what you are starting with.

Last edited:
You could do an air test to see if clutches etc are ok. Service manual shows you how. You only have to remove valve body to test.

IMHO for any performance application I'd want a good fresh 727. Just knowing that it is functional doesn't seem like a good bet. My opinion.

IMHO for any performance application I'd want a good fresh 727. Just knowing that it is functional doesn't seem like a good bet. My opinion.
Agreed. He said that he was going to put it in to see if it works. Why bother if it won't even pass an air test. That was my thinking.

That's why if I want to use a 727, I presume it needs to be COMPLETELY rebuilt. For a performance application I look at what the core transmission has for the internal parts, clutch drum, servo lever, planetary combo. Then decide if those basic parts match my expected power output & use. IMHO for 500+ HP I use the 4 pinion front & rear planetaries, 4 or 5 disc front clutch, front clutch spring combination, 3.8, 4.2, or 5.0 lever depending on the valve body maker suggestions. Many builders have different opinions on parts combinations. I experimented with lots of them for different power levels & uses. I see no value in tossing in an unknown. Too much work to install then pull back out, rebuild only to re-install.

All of the above!
The air check is good, but...it ONLY tells you if the seals are sealing. Says nothing about the condition of hard parts, steels, clutches, bands, and so on...much less any and all clearances. Those things don't last forever, and sooner, or later, needs to be replaced/rebuilt.
Trusting someone else's work, that's your call. And, you get what you get.

Auto Transport Service
Back