• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sound deadener/insulation recommendations

4404ME

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
I’m looking at different products for lining under the trunk mat, under the interior carpet, and between the roof and headliner. I’m aware of Dynamat, FatMat, KILMAT, & Noico in various thicknesses. Have any of you used these products, and what are your recommendations, and tips? Would you use one, and then perhaps another, depending on where it’s being used? Thanks Much!

I normally buy the Summit branded stuff and get FatMat in the box for less $$$.

Dynamat has the name recognition for good reason. They make a variety of products in different thicknesses. For a basic street car, just about any non asphalt based, foil backed product will work. The thicker stuff helps for people that intend to have powerful stereos.... sort of like how frame connectors allows the use of slightly softer springs due to reduced flex.

I'm using Eastwoods X-Mat. Easy to work with. I found a nice metal tape at ACE hardware to cover the seams. It's near the metal duct in the store.
Mike

I used Kil Mat on my wife's 67 Jeep Gladiator. 36sq/ft from Amazon foe $53.
The difference in the noise level is nothing short of Amazing. Vert satisfied.
Doug

I did my Jeep Wrangler with Noico 80mil as a base and Noico foam Red 315
on top. No complaints.
Dave

Thanks for the information! If you read the replies, it seems they’re all pretty good products, with some at less cost. Results, to me, are more important than the cost, though. Thanks again!

So I've used Fat Mat 50 mil on two different cars and it worked pretty well. I anticipated a little better thermal protection on my wife's car , it does ok bit your feet can get a little warm.
On mine I also added a layer of foil back foam insulation on top of the FatMat. My big block will produce a lot more heat than her stockish 302. The self sticking foam was really cheap.
I stocked up on the fat mat when building my wife's car, its probably doubled in price compared to 4-5 years ago.

I wanted to reduce noise, so I bought my sound deadening material from Rona, Home Depot and others would have similar material. It is sold for heating ductwork etc. Cost about 100.00. Mainly wanted to quite exhaust noise.

Thanks for the information! If you read the replies, it seems they’re all pretty good products, with some at less cost. Results, to me, are more important than the cost, though. Thanks again!

Fair, but do realize that sometimes you are paying for the "name" dynamat is the 3M of the sound deadening world. Kilmat, FatMat any other foil backed butyl product is more or less identical ( assuming mm thickness ). There are a few very small differences but you are really splitting hairs.

As for products that are made of closed cell foam, those are different all together. They are almost always cheaper but do not have the sound deadening properties that the butyl has. Sound is vibration, stop the vibration - stop the sound . That why butyls is so effective, its very dense, and heavy while still being fairly thin, and does a great job at stopping vibration. The cell foam products are literally made of a bunch of small air pockets and its very light and a lot thicker . It may change and dampen some of the sound but no where near as well.

Fair, but do realize that sometimes you are paying for the "name" dynamat is the 3M of the sound deadening world. Kilmat, FatMat any other foil backed butyl product is more or less identical ( assuming mm thickness ). There are a few very small differences but you are really splitting hairs.

As for products that are made of closed cell foam, those are different all together. They are almost always cheaper but do not have the sound deadening properties that the butyl has. Sound is vibration, stop the vibration - stop the sound . That why butyls is so effective, its very dense, and heavy while still being fairly thin, and does a great job at stopping vibration. The cell foam products are literally made of a bunch of small air pockets and its very light and a lot thicker . It may change and dampen some of the sound but no where near as well.
I should have said quiet, and yes my deadening material was butyl, rolls were about 18 inches wide.

I've used both Dynamat Xtreme (67 mil) and the Noico 80 mil and they are virtually identical. Both foil-backed butyl rubber. The Dynamat is a little bit thinner and more pliable, but basically the same. The only difference is the Noico came in smaller size pieces, so a bit easier to work with if you are covering small spaces.

If you want to add sound insulation I've used the Noico red and it's really good, easy to work with and sticks well.

Once again, I appreciate all of the additional information.. no such thing as TMI, as far as I’m concerned! Thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back