• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sound deadening (DynaMat) over factory sound deadening ?

rustytoolss

Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
I bought some DynaMat sound deadening Mats. When I pulled off the door panels, I see the factory sprayed on sound deadening on the door skins. Will I see any benefit adding the Dynamat over the factory material ? Would you ?

Last edited:
The way that I look at it, sound deadener is most effective when it adds density to metal and eliminates vibration.
The C-L-A-N-G sound of the bare trunklid closing is quite evident that there is resonance there. Unfortunately, you can't just apply deadener matting to one to quiet it down without it being visible. There, you'd often have to inject something between the outer panel and inner skin.
Inside door shells, quarter panels, underside of roof skins, the inside of the firewall.....all places where a reduction in vibration should theoretically result in a quieter experience.
I've read that there is a point of coverage where the sound reduction peaks and from there, any additional matting is just dead weight.

No but I would buy some type of closed cell foam insulation, something like this and put it down to help cut down on the heat on those hot summer days. I put it all of my sound deadener.

I used Hushmat because it was less expensive. On the doors rather than inside on the skin, I put it the inner door panel right behind the door card.

You will notice quite a difference. It costs a little bit of coin, but once it's done, you're good.

It costs a little bit of coin,
Sure does. I recently put A/C in my old bomb.Thermo-Tec 14610 acoustical + heat control mat.
I only did the firewall but will do the rest of the floor when I re- carpet.
Does the job,got it at Summit.

I just did my satellite a few months back for heat protection. So it's just on the Floorplans and the bottom side of the console.

But I've done other cars on the insides of the doors . And it makes a huge difference in how the doors sound
...DO IT !

20230512_110828.jpg

20230512_110825.jpg

The surface needs to be extremely clean for the Dynamat to adhere properly. The irregular texture may complicate matters as well. Surface prep is critical.

That said, I spent considerable time and effort on sound/heat abatement when I built my truck. It convinced me to do the same when I put new carpet in the GTX, although to a lesser degree. IMHO it’s worth the effort and expense…

Not really, jut wanted to know if there would be any benefits ADDING Dynamat over top of the factory sound deadening material that was inside the doors.

In my A100 van I had to re-do the bubble wrap in the doghouse and it really cut down the heat and noise, a new gasket for the lid helped with both too! I just had carpet back in the cargo compartment and was kind of noisy, when I did the doghouse, I used what was left in the cargo area. Hard to tell if it really cut down noise when you have all that bare metal in the rest of the van. I just used the stuff you get at the home center stores that looks like dynomat. Good Luck

Not really, jut wanted to know if there would be any benefits ADDING Dynamat over top of the factory sound deadening material that was inside the doors.
Yes, you WILL notice a difference.

edit, this is from a 1970 Cuda I did a several years back. Drivers side has Fatmat in it, pass door does not

The you will notice the biggest difference in how solid the door sounds when you close it

Last edited:
I'd have to say it depends on your car. If it's a snotty, noisy groundpounder then the more the better. If it's on the milder side (exhaust manifolds and stock-ish mufflers etc) then I don't think it would be worth the cost and time, just my opinion..

I'd have to say it depends on your car. If it's a snotty, noisy groundpounder then the more the better. If it's on the milder side (exhaust manifolds and stock-ish mufflers etc) then I don't think it would be worth the cost and time, just my opinion..
My days of"let's see how much power we can make..and piss off the neighbors, are long over" So the cars is old man mild.

Auto Transport Service
Back