• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sound deadening advice

dcw88

Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Hi all I am busy restoring my 69 satellite. The interior seats and door cards are getting recovered. While that’s happening I removing the carpet and wanting to add sound deadening. Does any one know what the floor plan is in square feet so I can order the correct amount as it’s expensive in the UK

Hi all I am busy restoring my 69 satellite. The interior seats and door cards are getting recovered. While that’s happening I removing the carpet and wanting to add sound deadening. Does any one know what the floor plan is in square feet so I can order the correct amount as it’s expensive in the UK
Hey if it’s a bench seat car can I get pics of the holes in the pan ( just replaced my pans and need track locations on both sides. Thanks

I have always ordered the Summit branded sound deadener and received Fatmat in a generic box for less $$$.

Hey if it’s a bench seat car can I get pics of the holes in the pan ( just replaced my pans and need track locations on both sides. Thanks
The holes are the outer ones in the seat supports on the underside. They are also "dimpled" on the top side of the pans.

DSCF5096 (2018_03_14 15_16_00 UTC).jpg

DSCF5096 (2018_03_14 15_16_00 UTC).jpg

My 69 Charger would be about the same size as your 69 Satellite. The Charger’s two doors took 5 square feet each and the firewall and floor (toe pan to the rear waterfall rise at front of rear seat took 72 Sq feet.

My local AutoZone which you can get on Autozone.com has Hushmat 12” x 12“ 25 sheets of Hushmat for $137 a box. They have a 20% off sale which drives the price down to $106 per box. You’ll need close to four boxes if you do your doors. Summit Racing will match that price if they ship it cheaper to UK.
Post pictures of the before and after.

Measure then order from fatmat
You completely missed the point. The OP wanted to know what others here think. Maybe the dude has no tape measure.
A 4' X 8" sheet of plywood is 32 square feet. The interior floors and doors are about the same if not a little more.
You Brits with the door cards, tyres, bushes and windscreen...

Keep in mind:
You don't need to cover every inch of the floor and doors. The sound deadener matting works by adding density to the panels to reduce vibrations and resonance. Some add it to the back side of the outer door skins, not below what you're calling "door cards".

You completely missed the point. The OP wanted to know what others here think. Maybe the dude has no tape measure.
A 4' X 8" sheet of plywood is 32 square feet. The interior floors and doors are about the same if not a little more.
You Brits with the door cards, tyres, bushes and windscreen...

Keep in mind:
You don't need to cover every inch of the floor and doors. The sound deadener matting works by adding density to the panels to reduce vibrations and resonance. Some add it to the back side of the outer door skins, not below what you're calling "door cards".
How many boxes/sq. feet of Kilmat did it take to do your 70 Charger?

There are so many names for this stuff.
I ordered through Amazon maybe 8-10 years ago. I think I ordered something like 40 sq ft and had some left over.
I did the floors up the firewall a bit, rocker panel to rocker panel...

SD 2.JPG

I went under the rear seat bottom and stopped about where the upper section was.

SD 6.JPG

The doors and quarters got some on the inside of the outer skins.
I have no pictures of that though.

I believe I used 6 sheets per door of the Kilmat off of Amazon, with very little waste. Made quite a difference when closing a empty door.

IMG_0228.jpeg

Years back when we had to have the right door replaced in the wife's 2015 Challenger, the shop didn't coat the inside of the door with any sound deadener. There was a noticeable difference in how the left and right door sounded when closed. I had to pull the panel and plastic and stick on a couple of sheets of the stuff just to quiet it down to where it should be.

I used a 50 sq/ft roll because I wanted to get as far back under the back seat as possible. Also went up the firewall and put some pieces under the package tray because my car is loud...Looking back I wish I'd have done the doors too but there wasn't enough left.

My biggest concern with this chit is sticking it to the surfaces - mainly the floors ... what happens if - God forbid - you have a leak of some sort - like a heater core or something.

Does any of it come with an adhesive backing? I can see installing it on the roof and in the doors being a real PITA if you have to spray on adhesive first.

I bought a 50sq ft roll of Fatmat off ebay. Did my entire floor from lower firewall to back under the rear seat. I had enough left over I might be able to add some to the insides of the doors. But dont think I have enough to do both doors. I'll have to find the remains of the roll and ck

20230512_110825.jpg

20230512_110828.jpg

My biggest concern with this chit is sticking it to the surfaces - mainly the floors ... what happens if - God forbid - you have a leak of some sort - like a heater core or something.

Does any of it come with an adhesive backing? I can see installing it on the roof and in the doors being a real PITA if you have to spray on adhesive first.

This stuff is basically a layer of tar like material covered with aluminum foil. You peel off the paper wrapper on the tar side, stick it to the panel, and roll over it with a roller. No adhesive and i imagine it creates a pretty good layer of protection from water and spills. Doubtful water could soak through both the aluminum foil and tar. Maybe at the seams if you didn't line up the pieces very good.

71DToyP5n6L.jpg

I used Kil Mat. 36 sq ft is more than enough. it's cheap. I was amazed how well it worked. Least expensive stuff I found. I'd use it again.
Doug
Amazon product ASIN B0751CBXBT
So few questions please. Any adhesion issues those far? Any weird smells? How’s sound and heat deadening? Claims to reduce both so I’m wondering. Def worth the price but not worth it if it won’t last the long run in the scheme of things. Thanks for reading

I bought 2 packs of kilmat sound deadening and to do the roof and floor with some spare for the doors and rear

IMG_6675.jpeg

IMG_6678.jpeg

6A197FB9-4D02-4D30-9B2E-9851C9B9B6DB.jpeg

9980BBEC-0F12-40D8-A627-1B9859DEC6E3.jpeg

IMG_6698.jpeg

7D99BB16-B67A-4070-910F-6D970C903431.jpeg

IMG_6718.jpeg

08461B50-D2EC-4CA7-9FCF-764265B6E2DC.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back