• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sound insulation : HUGE difference!

65RoadRacer

Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
I had some insulation I've been putting off for a not-so-ridiculously-hot day, and yesterday was not as bad, so I installed Boom Mat, Under Carpet Lite, and fresh carpeting to the Belvedere.

Turned out pretty nice!

DEIinstall28.jpg DEIinstall12.jpg DEIinstall20.jpg DEIinstall22.jpg

Yes where did you get the carpet? Looks and forms much better that most I have used or seen. Great job!

Thanks, it took about 3 hours for the Boom Mat, and another 6-7 for the insulation and carpeting - with plenty of water breaks in between.

The Boom Mat and Under Carpet Lite are from DEI, it comes as a large sheet, and I simply laid it in and cut it to fit. The Boom Mat doesn't need to cover the entire floor, as the curved sheetmetal doesn't create resonance.

The carpet I got from ACC - I've always liked their quality on replacement carpet.

DEIinstall05.jpg DEIinstall01.jpg

Thanks, it took about 3 hours for the Boom Mat, and another 6-7 for the insulation and carpeting - with plenty of water breaks in between.

The Boom Mat and Under Carpet Lite are from DEI, it comes as a large sheet, and I simply laid it in and cut it to fit. The Boom Mat doesn't need to cover the entire floor, as the curved sheetmetal doesn't create resonance.

The carpet I got from ACC - I've always liked their quality on replacement carpet.

View attachment 492522 View attachment 492523
You cannot beat ACC!

Looks great...Man that will be a beautiful interior when finished....

Looks great. I'm leaning towards ACC also.

Is that cut pile? And did you remove the gas peddle then reinstall?

I also can vouch for the ACC being top notch I first ordered a trim parts carpet for my four speed bee and the fit was terrible. When started the switch from black to the original blue
I got the ACC and it fit like a glove!

I must have gotten unlucky on my last purchase from ACC. I bought carpet and also the underlay from them. The underlay was rock hard and busted when I unrolled it. The carpet smelled like it had mildewed. I contacted AAC they never bothered to respond. Guess I just got a bad set or something.

Looks great. I'm leaning towards ACC also.

Is that cut pile? And did you remove the gas peddle then reinstall?
I did loop pile for this, just seems to be more period correct, I guess. And yes, I removed the gas pedal, then once installed I cut the bolt holes only for the gas pedal and placed it in the holes. Then I marked the inner lines with blue tape and cut the recessed area.

Interesting to note, the last time I installed ACC carpet, the floor pad was right where the gas pedal is, and I had to cut into that plastic pad. This time, I couldn't push the carpet up enough to reach the base of the pedal, so I'm glad I waited until I installed the carpet before I marked it and cut it.

It's also a good thing to note that you can't forget to cut the holes for the seatbelts. I did... and did a Tim Taylor "Oh NOOOOOO!" when I realized it. lol

gaspedal.jpg

I must have gotten unlucky on my last purchase from ACC. I bought carpet and also the underlay from them. The underlay was rock hard and busted when I unrolled it. The carpet smelled like it had mildewed. I contacted AAC they never bothered to respond. Guess I just got a bad set or something.
I will say this about them, the people there can be jerks. I talked to one guy there and he was an ***. I ordered mine from Rock Auto. This is one product that I almost didn't buy because of the person I spoke to there. If you buy from Rock Auto, they'll take care of you. I wanted to buy it without the insulator pad, you can only get it that way directly from ACC. After talking with the guy there, I decided I would just pull of the insulation myself, which I did since I used the Under Carpet Lite from DEI.

I will say this about them, the people there can be jerks. I talked to one guy there and he was an ***. I ordered mine from Rock Auto. This is one product that I almost didn't buy because of the person I spoke to there. If you buy from Rock Auto, they'll take care of you. I wanted to buy it without the insulator pad, you can only get it that way directly from ACC. After talking with the guy there, I decided I would just pull of the insulation myself, which I did since I used the Under Carpet Lite from DEI.
Makes ya wonder how anyone can stay in business with terrible customer service.....

I did loop pile for this, just seems to be more period correct, I guess. And yes, I removed the gas pedal, then once installed I cut the bolt holes only for the gas pedal and placed it in the holes. Then I marked the inner lines with blue tape and cut the recessed area.

Interesting to note, the last time I installed ACC carpet, the floor pad was right where the gas pedal is, and I had to cut into that plastic pad. This time, I couldn't push the carpet up enough to reach the base of the pedal, so I'm glad I waited until I installed the carpet before I marked it and cut it.

It's also a good thing to note that you can't forget to cut the holes for the seatbelts. I did... and did a Tim Taylor "Oh NOOOOOO!" when I realized it. lol

View attachment 492660
Thanks for the reply!

I noticed the heel pad was back a bit. Don't point it out and no one will notice.

On my '62 the e-brake bracket bolts to one of the gas peddle bolts and the bolts are right between the floor and the header on that side. A real pita to get too but I'll deal with it when I get that far.

How much boom mat did you use? 10 squares?

I have the interior out of my car and think now would be a swell time to do as you just did.

Still looking for rubber instead of carpet for B bodies.
ACC site says they make vinyl stuff, but don't think I'll ask them.:eek:

How much boom mat did you use? 10 squares?

I have the interior out of my car and think now would be a swell time to do as you just did.
I used about 8 pieces per side, including remnants for the trans hump. They tell you that any part of the floor that has compound curves doesn't need Boom Mat, so I kept it to flat panels for the most part. When we did a car with that 'other stuff'... they provided a kit and had us cover every square inch of the interior, both door inner panels, and quarter inner panels. I think that's way too much. I ended up with some leftover even though it was a "complete car" kit. I haven't done the trunk area and will likely to that with the leftover.

I used about 8 pieces per side, including remnants for the trans hump. They tell you that any part of the floor that has compound curves doesn't need Boom Mat, so I kept it to flat panels for the most part. When we did a car with that 'other stuff'... they provided a kit and had us cover every square inch of the interior, both door inner panels, and quarter inner panels. I think that's way too much. I ended up with some leftover even though it was a "complete car" kit. I haven't done the trunk area and will likely to that with the leftover.
Did it effect how your counsel fit the tunnel?

Auto Transport Service
Back