• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Space X test launch sending Elon Musks Tesla Roadster into space!

I wonder if they will be able to get updated photos of the car as it treks out into space, would be interesting to see what absolute zero does to a production car.
Fun to see if the airbags deploy when a big asteroid crashes into it.

Pretty sure this was the first test so they decided to launch a car instead of a billion dollar satellite or worse humans just in case. Makes sense to me, a bit of a publicity stunt but it got our attention.

They've already completed fifty plus missions, quite a few were satellites.

http://www.spacex.com/missions

Todays flight was amazing!!!!
Just visited Kennedy space center a month ago and they where getting ready for this flight. The shuttle was dangerous and expensive to fly.from what I was told it cost over $10,000 a pound to put some ones payload in to space this new system would cost about $1,000 a pound and no humans have to be put at risk.
The Air Force is dong some things with the new X37-B. It will be the next spacecraft that will take people to mars, and not like the shuttle it will have an emergence launch escape system rocket pack on top of the craft like the old Mercury and Saturn 5's to rocket the craft and crew away from the hazardous main rockets in case of a mishap. Big thing going on at Kenndy. Highly recommend a trip to the Center you will not be disappointed.

24-_DSC2927.JPG 41-_DSC2963.JPG 44-1280px-Dream_Chaser_pre-drop_tests.3.JPG 27-_DSC2934.JPG 37-_DSC2951.JPG 68-_DSC3030.JPG 48-_DSC2983.JPG 43-_DSC2974.JPG 93-_DSC3088.JPG 28-_DSC2937.JPG

Last edited:
The only... ONLY ... car that should've gone into space is a Plymouth. A Plymouth SATELLITE.

Cool stuff :thumbsup:

The center core ran out of fuel so landing it wasn't possible. It came down in the ocean instead. Landing the two outboards, simultaneously was pretty cool.
dvywr2iuqaautmb.jpg

Some pics from the Tesla.
SpaceX-Tesla-Roadster-Falcon-Heavy-1224180.jpg
screen-shot-2018-02-06-at-4-16-13-pm.png
Falcon-Heavy-Tesla-Roadster-1224181.jpg

I watched the video of the launch today...and successful landing of 2 of the 3 boosters back on Earth. These SpaceEx folks are incredible. They have the same vision, drive, and passion that NASA used to have in the beginning of our space program. I wish them the best in future launches.

They could of atleast sent a cool car ! Now the aliens are going to think we're all gay because it's an elc car!

I was up by the space center the other day I didn't think to stop in and look around it's only 45 mins from the house I haven't been there in 15 years maybe I'll load the kids from the hood up and get them a education! (We're all going to play laser tag next mouth) I believe total there's 21 kids on my street there all roughly the same age and love outside my house is the center of the street and there's two lots across the street they play in we spray painted a base ball diamond on the street and onto the lot they have fun and I can keep an eye on them all from the garage since I'm always home! Anyways I think taking them to the space center might be fun

Not Falcon Heavy to my knowledge! It was only the single engine Falcon 9 and Dragon!
Yes, Falcon Heavy is the equivalent of our Saturn V rockets...the big boys on the block. What a paradigm shift in our lifetimes! Once upon a time, NASA was the "be all" of the space program. Now, nothing from them. SpaceEx is the new frontier to restoring our space program to its former glory. I'm simply amazed that they're doing controlled landings of their space vehicles back on Earth. This is Buck Rogers stuff!

So they need a bail out but can afford to send a car into space?

Ha Ha
Talk about a "Bail-Out"
How about NASA?

1. Cant even put a man into space, we ride up with the Russians for $26 million each!
2. Sending ridiculous rovers to Mars
3. Elon Musk's Space Launch rocket boosters return to Earth for future usage
4. Space Xs launch yesterday was a mere $90 million, considered cheap.

Ha Ha
Talk about a "Bail-Out"
How about NASA?

1. Cant even put a man into space, we ride up with the Russians for $26 million each!

And the owner donated his own car!

Ha Ha
Talk about a "Bail-Out"
How about NASA?

Exactly. And to your point #3 which I should have said in my previous post...controlled landings of UNMANNED space vehicles...rockets! BTW, NASA's all about climate change and sustainability now...a shell of its former self.

Beat me to it.

Was gonna' say he's seen "Heavy Metal" a few too many times.

Radar, radar, radar...

Ridah!!

Yes, Falcon Heavy is the equivalent of our Saturn V rockets...the big boys on the block. What a paradigm shift in our lifetimes! Once upon a time, NASA was the "be all" of the space program. Now, nothing from them. SpaceEx is the new frontier to restoring our space program to its former glory. I'm simply amazed that they're doing controlled landings of their space vehicles back on Earth. This is Buck Rogers stuff!

Saturn V Max payload is 310,000 lbs. Falcon Heavy Max payload 119,000 lbs..

Quite a few sources got that wrong.

No one bothered to include the line "currently in use".

Auto Transport Service
Back