• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPEAKERS?

Longknife

Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
I have a new aftermarket stereo (Stereo) I am wanting to install but cannot decide on speakers for my 69RR. I am not looking to rock the neighborhood when I drive down the street, but I do want a clean clear sound when I get on the highway and crank her up. I see speakers priced at $30.00 a pair to $300 a pair. What brand/size of speaker gets the best bang for the buck!!!??? Any suggestions? THNX!

That could depend on the amount of power you have available to drive them, and whether you want front dash replacements or something in the rear package shelf.

I'm in the same position I just spent $1250. on TTI's with not much thought, then I see to 2 speakers for $180. and think this is absurd.

I bought a used pyramid amp, these speakers, and it doesn’t rock the neighborhood, but it plays my 8 tracks loud enough :thumbsup:

C92502AA-8246-41E2-A082-36AC2AEABDE7.png

67CFD0A6-47EB-4CD9-8509-58AAD94781FF.jpeg

Size, wattage, and your stereo's power output. The size is the only thing we can answer.

Been near 30 years since I've been into car stereos. The ringing in my ears is the only proof of it now lol. Some quality name brands back then were JBL, JL Audio, Cerwin Vega, Kenwood, Rockford Fosgate, MTX, Orion, Kicker, just to name a few. The output power of the stereo and/or amplifier will help determine the power rating of the speakers you select. The more stock 6" x 9" speakers are very readily available still. Be sure to not exceed the speakers power rating. And with something like 6" x 9" speakers, they are easy enough to install and test sound quality for yourself. And you can typically return or exchange them if you're not satisfied.

I likely overspent having older version of Infinity kappa speakers and they are a good speaker, but there is not really any good mounting locations in a Convertible.
Having the two 3.5" speakers on the adaptor plate for the factory center speaker location pretty much no left to right sound separation.
If using the dash center speaker adaptor plate, look for speakers that are not too deep on the backside or they will contact the Heater control cables.
My car did not come with A/C and was converted using the Vintage Air kit with electronic heater control so there are no heater cables behind the control to worry about.
In back seat area, I used the 6.5" round Kappa speaker in the convertible side panels (they were not in good condition to start with.)
Because the convertible is mostly open, I put an amp and sub in the trunk.
With a Hardtop, the rear package tray area seems to work pretty good for 6x9 speakers.

I also like the infiniti line of speakers. I really have enjoyed using infiniti's basslink amplified subwoofer to. I have had the basslink for almost a dozen years, no idea what is currently out there but it increased the sound quality tremendously. I am running a sony amp on the 6x9s and smaller round speakers in the front. The 6x9s are in enclosures. In my megacab have a kicker amp and subwoofer. I like the infinity stuff, but kicker has also been good . The kickers vibrates the cab w the lows( i relpaced the cargo box behind the seat with a custom enclosure....But I really enjoy Sq (sound quality) much better. The infinity bass link has awesome sq bass and was probably the best among $ I have spent.

I have found this internet review pretty helpful:
Top 10 6x9 Speakers of 2022 - Best Reviews Guide

Last edited:
I'm not a car hifi expert but out of all speaker brands i prefer JBL. (They sound the best IMO)
So i would go with them if they have what you need.

Here is my little JBL setup :D

IMG_2317.JPG

I looked a bit into it.
Unfortunately JBL does not let me browse the us website but they do have some nice subtle looking speakers:
jbl-stage-9603e-7975-496x496.jpg

g109stage6-f-1-24183-500x500-1.jpg

When looking at Watt Ratings you need to look at the RMS rating, not the peak/music power rating.
What does it help if your engine makes 500hp but only for 1 second otherwise it blows up? :D

Your aftermarket stereo has the following specs:
Maximum Power Output
50W x 4 / 50W x 2 +Subwoofer (4 ohms) 50W x 1

Full Bandwidth Power (at less than 1%THD)
22W x 4

Unfortunately they do not state what "maximum power" refers to, peak or sustained/rms.
I SUSPECT the full bandwidth power rating is RMS but i don't know.

If you want to use full range/bandwidth speakers (bass, mid, high all in 1 chassis) with more than 22W RMS each you need to purchase an external amplifier aswell.

What i would do is buying nice JBL speakers as pictured above and an external amplifier.

Edit:
JVC also does not state an ohm rating for the "Full Bandwith Power" figure.
Normally it would be something like 22W x 4 @ 4 Ohm. But there is no ohm rating. I would use an external amplifier.

Last edited:
Best bang for you buck, by far, Pioneer.

I have a Pioneer MVH-S301BT, just a receiver, BT, and internal amp, with 6x9 Pioneer speaker installed in old school home speaker boxes.

Incredibly clear and loud, adjustable eq.

I have Infinity speakers in another car and they are fantastic.

After using a VPN i was able to view the jbl usa website. It looks like their offerings are different in the united states.
The speakers i found on their site aren't as subtle looking as the ones i posted but OK.

If you just want to add 2 speakers this would be my choice:

Is this the cheapest option? No.
But it's also not the most expensive option and IMO you can't beat JBL sound quality. Even with speakers that cost way more.

If you want to add more than 2 speakers or a subwoofer you need another selection/amplifier.

Best bang for you buck, by far, Pioneer.

I have a Pioneer MVH-S301BT, just a receiver, BT, and internal amp, with 6x9 Pioneer speaker installed in old school home speaker boxes.

Incredibly clear and loud, adjustable eq.

I have Infinity speakers in another car and they are fantastic.

Nice to hear it works for you but i again have not found a RMS or Ohm rating on the Pioneer website.
It just says 4 x 50 Watt. what it should say would be something like 4 x 50 Watt RMS @ 4 Ohm.
Your speakers (if i found the right ones) should have 100 Watt RMS @ 4 Ohm each.
So your setup would be fine IF your internal amp specs are indeed 4 x 50 Watt RMS @ 4 Ohm AND it is capable of bridging 2 channels into 1. Otherwise your speakers could take more power than your amp can supply.

Remember the days when you would throw a set of Pioneer TSX-80's up in thee back window?

Yes, you should look to find the actual power handling capabilities vs. the output of your amp. It's usually better to have too much power rather than too little; speakers can handle a bit more clean power but if you overdrive a weak amp the distortion is what will kill the speaker.
These rockford fosgate speakers have a little more info but now you're starting to get into real money. (Just an example of specs, from this site: Power 6.50" Aluminum Component System | Rockford Fosgate ® )
1670624549436.png

I looked a bit into it.
Unfortunately JBL does not let me browse the us website but they do have some nice subtle looking speakers:
View attachment 1384991
View attachment 1384992

When looking at Watt Ratings you need to look at the RMS rating, not the peak/music power rating.
What does it help if your engine makes 500hp but only for 1 second otherwise it blows up? :D

Your aftermarket stereo has the following specs:

Unfortunately they do not state what "maximum power" refers to, peak or sustained/rms.
I SUSPECT the full bandwidth power rating is RMS but i don't know.

If you want to use full range/bandwidth speakers (bass, mid, high all in 1 chassis) with more than 22W RMS each you need to purchase an external amplifier aswell.

What i would do is buying nice JBL speakers as pictured above and an external amplifier.

Edit:
JVC also does not state an ohm rating for the "Full Bandwith Power" figure.
Normally it would be something like 22W x 4 @ 4 Ohm. But there is no ohm rating. I would use an external amplifier.
Thanks for that info, I read through all the paperwork that came with this new stereo and that info was not printed anywhere. So how can you make a decision if the necessary data isn't supplied with the unit, or as with this unit apparently incomplete? Does 50 watt X 4 mean the total output of stereo is 200 watts? And how does that info cross when looking for speakers as most speakers boast 300-watt total power for two speakers?! My desire here was to add some good speakers and not add external amplifiers, boosters, Boomers, kickers, woofers, subs etc,,,,,,
Size, wattage, and your stereo's power output. The size is the only thing we can answer.
Thats why I posted the Stereo model info on my first post...

Last edited:
As per the specs, it likely has a lot less than 200 watts of real power in total. When they claim "Full Bandwidth Power (at less than 1%THD) 22W X 4" then it's probably even less than 20 watts per channel when checked at under 1/10% distortion like good home audio equipment.

It's a budget device, touting a lot of features like changing colour displays, bluetooth, USB charging, Alexa etc. and how many phones can connect before it even gets to the sonic abilities. No doubt it sounds better than the original 2 or 5 watt radio though.

There is little point spending a huge amount of money on 'good' speakers when the interior of a car is about the worst listening enclosure you can get......

Thanks for that info, I read through all the paperwork that came with this new stereo and that info was not printed anywhere. So how can you make a decision if the necessary data isn't supplied with the unit, or as with this unit apparently incomplete? Does 50 watt X 4 mean the total output of stereo is 200 watts? And how does that info cross when looking for speakers as most speakers boast 300-watt total power for two speakers?! My desire here was to add some good speakers and not add external amplifiers, boosters, Boomers, kickers, woofers, subs etc,,,,,,

50 watt x 4 means 200 watt total spread across 4 speakers.
But it's not clear if that means 200 watt rms or peak and at what resistance / ohm. (Watts drop when ohms increase)

That's why i recommended buying this set of speakers and external amplifier.

I know JBL makes great speakers/stuff and the amplifier specs are actually complete so you know what you get:
Power Output 60W x2 @ 4 ohms
Edit: Here it states That 60W is rated in RMS: https://www.bedienungsanleitu.ng/viewer/961268/5/bg5.webp

Alternatively you can take a wild guess and buy some speakers based on looks and price and it might work well but it might aswell does not.

There is little point spending a huge amount of money on 'good' speakers when the interior of a car is about the worst listening enclosure you can get......

It's true a car is a bad listening environment but you still can get pretty amazing results if you spend a lot of money.
Especially new cars have great sound system options you can buy straight from the factory. (At least i've been told they sound great and i think it's true)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back