• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

specific mallory distributor/coil combo question

Floating 440

Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, second post, I've been rebuilding a 440 for my '83 Century Coronado and you guys exceeded all my expectations on my first post answering a question about a mechanical question which was much appreciated. Now I have an ignition question.

I bought a Mallory distributor part number YLM578AV and Mallory coil part number 30480. I thought that would be all I needed but the instructions say I need either a ballast resistor or a (loom) resistance wire which I was not expecting.

So first question- do these two go together? and second question- what is the simplest way to go if one of these other parts is required? Or is there another simpler way to go?

I am rebuilding the whole boat, not just the engine, and I am all about keeping it as simple as possible. Minimal parts and minimal wiring.

Thanks for any help,

Rob

I can't answer your question specifically but I can add some knowledge
I use a Mallory Uni-lite Distributor and have for years
but I use it with a MSD box and no ballast resistor
The Uni-lites got a bad rep for burning up years ago but they burned out from an electrical surge making the ballast resistor necessary when connecting them directly to the coil
When used to trigger the MSD box there is lower voltage going through them and no surges, they can last forever

I used a stock ballast in the factory location and wired it up per the instructions, it didn't change much from the factory setup so it was simple and clean. Not sure if you have the same options for mounting it like in a car.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Anyone know if all ballast resistors have the same resistance? I'm assuming since the instructions didn't specify that I just get one for a 440. I think the point of the ballast resistor back when these motors were new was to protect the coil as it couldn't handle the full 12V, but I would have thought a new aftermarket coil like this would be made to take it, but I guess not?

They all provide basically the same resistance
Note this isn't electronics where you need an exact number
But the ballpark is about 6.9 volts while running designed to not burn up the coil

Doesn't the coil installation tell you what ballast to use?

Auto Transport Service
Back