• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedo pinion adapter leak

70runner

Local time
12:47 AM
Reaction score
As shown in pic, leaks between metal housing at end of cable and cable. Everything else seems dry. Is this an inner seal issue?

ViGbuGn.jpg

Yes it is, there should be no fluid inside the cable. Odd that it doesn’t come out anyplace else.

unscrew your speedo cable, pull it off. You need to unbolt the speedo adapter from the transmission and remove the gear. You will see a small clip and o ring on the cable side. The O ring needs to be replaced to stop your leak

It is a seal ring below the clip inside the bore. The outside of the housing has an o ring.

Edit service manual photo added. It’s not an o ring it is a seal. I’ve changed hundreds them.

28B2A77D-33D1-40C4-818D-C9678F0C377F.jpeg

Last edited:
here is a old housing showing the clip and O ring

IMG_0926.JPG

Make sure the lip faces in when installing!
Mike

I have the same issue but I replaced the seal and it still leaks very badly
Any ideas

I've been told to stack 2 seals in there. Anybody else do that?

Hi Hunt2Elk
I will try that and report
Cant hurt
Im fogging for mosquitoes at this point lol

I thought mine was still leaking after replacement the past couple days, but determined it was actually the fluid still coming out of the cable housing!!

Auto Transport Service
Back