• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedo question

alextucker

Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
I have investigated my non functioning Speedo and all seems good from the cockpit down, I tested the cable by attaching a drill and the needle moves ok, so does that mean the speedo cog is bust? The speedo was working fine before she was shipped last year so I am not sure how the cog could have been damaged.

I have a new cog and a new cable so I'm just wondering if you have any tips on replacing the cog as I don't want to lose much transmission fluid when I take it out. I heard jacking up the front helps before removing the cover etc.

Or if you have any ideas on a simpler fix would be even better.

No, you want to jack up the rear although I doubt you'll loose much fluid anyways. Have you looked on the tranny end yet? I'd pull it out and check the internal gear and check the engagement, they work like a cam where you have to turn it for correct engagement.

No, you want to jack up the rear although I doubt you'll loose much fluid anyways. Have you looked on the tranny end yet? I'd pull it out and check the internal gear and check the engagement, they work like a cam where you have to turn it for correct engagement.
Ah cool, thanks for clarifying. I have not looked down there yet, I just checked that the cable was secure into the box/plate section and it is. So I need to take off the cable then is there a plate I remove or do I need to take off the speedo box? First time doing anything in this area.

If you look at this picture you'll notice the cable inlet is off center, this is to accommodate different gears for different gearing and tire diameters. The clamp fits into the slots and holds it in place once adjusted. I just spin the housing while turning the gear until it engages then line up the slots and bolt it down.

To remove just take out the 1 bolt and C shaped clamp and pull it out, it's sealed with an O ring.

Screenshot_20170324-073600.png

Did you try spinning the cable on the speedometer end while it was still attached to the tranny? It shouldn't spin, if it does something is wrong.

Did you try spinning the cable on the speedometer end while it was still attached to the tranny? It shouldn't spin, if it does something is wrong.
Yes I did and I think it spins, so I'll have to open her up then I presume?

Either the cable is broke, gear isn't meshing (not adjusted properly), where the cable mates into the gear could be wiped out or one of the gears could be stripped (both plastic). Shouldn't be hard to figure it out.

Expect to lose about 1/2 quart of trans oil out of that hole when you take out the old speedometer gear. It's a piece-of-cake to change those...only one bolt for the clamp & the cable screws on.

Expect to lose about 1/2 quart of trans oil out of that hole when you take out the old speedometer gear. It's a piece-of-cake to change those...only one bolt for the clamp & the cable screws on.
will I need to top the oil back up again? not sure where it goes in, presume ok to put back in what comes out as long as not contaminated.

Should be a dipstick behind the passenger side of the motor.

Might want to find the rest of that gear first lol, not good to have floating around in there. I'd say something is either bound up in the cable or Speedo or it was never set right to cause that. Good luck

Might want to find the rest of that gear first lol, not good to have floating around in there. I'd say something is either bound up in the cable or Speedo or it was never set right to cause that. Good luck
Yeah it was installed and set to the wrong tooth setting no wonder it stopped working, do you really think I will need to get into the tranny to find the bits of plastic?

The speedo is making an intermittent noise now that its working, its like the numbers are getting stuck or the cable is catching on the back of the speedo, spooky noise if that makes sense, so I might be better to just replace the cable anyway?

Yeah it was installed and set to the wrong tooth setting no wonder it stopped working, do you really think I will need to get into the tranny to find the bits of plastic?

The speedo is making an intermittent noise now that its working, its like the numbers are getting stuck or the cable is catching on the back of the speedo, spooky noise if that makes sense, so I might be better to just replace the cable anyway?
If you don't clean it those junks could get into the teeth of your new gear and wipe it out. They may settle into the pan and cause no trouble at all too but the pan magnet won't ever hold them in place so they'll always be free to move around.

Auto Transport Service
Back