• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 road runner 150 mph rallye speedo follies

road robert

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Hello Mopar Tribe!

It started on Thanksgiving 2021 while driving avoiding highways from Holden, MA to Gouldsboro, PA. Suddenly I heard a loud growling sound that I could not tell where from it was coming from, then noticed the speedometer needle was dancing all over the place. It continued until I came to a complete stop, then the noise went away and the speedo needle acted normally. Then if I hit a bump or just random the issue would return until again I came to a stop, then Ok until it happened again... This problem disappeared for 1.5 years - 5K miles now it's back!

1. Does the speedometer unit require any lubrication after 52 years?
2. Could this be the speedo cable?

Thanks!

road robert

Hello Mopar Tribe!

It started on Thanksgiving 2021 while driving avoiding highways from Holden, MA to Gouldsboro, PA. Suddenly I heard a loud growling sound that I could not tell where from it was coming from, then noticed the speedometer needle was dancing all over the place. It continued until I came to a complete stop, then the noise went away and the speedo needle acted normally. Then if I hit a bump or just random the issue would return until again I came to a stop, then Ok until it happened again... This problem disappeared for 1.5 years - 5K miles now it's back!

1. Does the speedometer unit require any lubrication after 52 years?
2. Could this be the speedo cable?

Thanks!

road robert
Tried PM you your in box is full.

Could be either the cable or the speedo head itself. I've have a couple speedos needing lubed. The 50 year old grease on the nylon gears dries out and the gears bind a bit. Is a real pain getting new lube in there.
Check and lube the cable first and see if that fixes it.

Well that's the thing. You have to remove the speedo head from the cluster to get the lube where it needs to be.
1685191056536.jpeg

Oh well, too late for me add some now.
I'm not going to take it apart t this point in the build.

Auto Transport Service
Back