• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer cable change

Charge68

Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
Could someone please share the steps required to disconnect the speedometer cable on the back of the speedometer. I have a rally dash. Does the dash cluster need to come out? The replacement cable has a white plastic end. Thank you in advance.

Could someone please share the steps required to disconnect the speedometer cable on the back of the speedometer. I have a rally dash. Does the dash cluster need to come out? The replacement cable has a white plastic end. Thank you in advance.
Sorry should have added it is a 1972 Charger.

It is crowded in there under the dash but it can be done without removing anything. Patience is the key.

Should be just a release tab that gets pressed down to remove it from the speedometer.

I use to reach up and unhook it most every night I took either our '69 and '76 out for a tour. Enough mileage to show I went to the GF's and back and then unhook, returning the gas gauge back to where it originally was.
speedoclip.jpg

You were naughty!
Mike
WERE? LOL, I got caught one night. Forgot to drop the cable one night when my buddy had "lost" his girlfriend and he had to find her. Only question I got asked the next morning, when rudly woken up by my old man, "HOW THE >>>> DID YOU PUT 691 MILES ON THE FURY LAST NIGHT" ! He wasn't concerned a bit about the empties in the back seat..

WERE? LOL, I got caught one night. Forgot to drop the cable one night when my buddy had "lost" his girlfriend and he had to find her. Only question I got asked the next morning, when rudly woken up by my old man, "HOW THE >>>> DID YOU PUT 691 MILES ON THE FURY LAST NIGHT" ! He wasn't concerned a bit about the empties in the back seat..
I see, It's an ongoing problem. Don't get caught!
Mike

The last time I installed a new (repro?) speedo cable I just tried to push it on (without having pressed down on the locking tab to open the little tooth catch). In doing so, the little catch/lever snapped right off!

Auto Transport Service
Back