• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer Cable Lube Question.

TimS

Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
What is the best lube for the speedo cable. Running down the road today in my Roadrunner and my speedo starts making noise with needle jumping around. I lubed that over the Summer with bearing lube, lightly. Probably not the right thing I would guess. I haven't had any issues with this and have been driving the car quite a bit.

I do not suggest the old 3 in 1.
You could not go wrong with something like 0-10w, but don't use too much.
Too much of a good thing can create more problems.

Something dry like graphite? Need the same info. I have to address the cable in my R/T too.

My experience with graphite is that it never comes clean.
My service manual suggests a cable lube part number 1243632, and applying a thin film.

Graphite is basically the same as what is in a pencil, and small particles can cause damage.

I use white Lithium grease. Not like you'll be driving it in the cold, but bearing lube will stiffen in cold weather.

I use white Lithium grease. Not like you'll be driving it in the cold, but bearing lube will stiffen in cold weather.

I think that's what happened. I've been driving it in the cold. That's when my issues with the speedo started.

A speedo shop told me to use Vaseline. Been using it for years now. Remember to pack some in the brass bushing at the back of the speedo head. That's where you will get allot of the needle bounce from.

Just used the spray on white lithium. All is good now. Thanks for the input !!

Bought a new speedo cable for my '66 'net from Laysons and the instructions say to apply white lithium grease along the length of the inner, stopping a few inches from the top.

Hate being a naysayer but have you ever pulled a window regulator or door latch out of an old car that's been lubed with white lithium grease a few times over a couple of decades. It's usually sort of petrified and not doing much lubing. Really tough crud to clean off. I think there may be better lubes for the purpose, but maybe when confined inside a speedometer cable housing away from open air it doesn't dry out in the same way.

Last edited:
I use Sil-Glyde
41DwwjgRZLL.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back