• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer play = normal?

kaj750

Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
My speedo has been jumping all over the place, so I decided to pull the cluster out and clean/lube everything. I have two questions for anyone not minding to help:

1. Is this play normal and can it cause erratic behavior and/or premature wear and tear?

2. How clean does this all need to be? The .... "grease" (?) is really sticky and hard to remove. Do I need to take carb cleaner to all of this? As for grease, I have a really expensive bicycle bearing grease, a tub of high-temp grease (red), but also access to a parts store about two blocks away. Does it really matter? Thanks, in advance!

**edit. When I pulled the cluster out, the speedo cable didn't need to be pulled loose. It stayed behind. I assume it wasn't snapped on and that's probably why the speedo was spinning all over the place LOL.

20231229_180338.jpg

My speedo has been jumping all over the place, so I decided to pull the cluster out and clean/lube everything. I have two questions for anyone not minding to help:

1. Is this play normal and can it cause erratic behavior and/or premature wear and tear?

2. How clean does this all need to be? The .... "grease" (?) is really sticky and hard to remove. Do I need to take carb cleaner to all of this? As for grease, I have a really expensive bicycle bearing grease, a tub of high-temp grease (red), but also access to a parts store about two blocks away. Does it really matter? Thanks, in advance!

**edit. When I pulled the cluster out, the speedo cable didn't need to be pulled loose. It stayed behind. I assume it wasn't snapped on and that's probably why the speedo was spinning all over the place LOL.

View attachment 1581666

Sounds like you have found all the problems. Be careful with cleaning solvent, I took off the odometer numbers on my 65 speedo with brake cleaner. Lube that cable with a light grease. A little research should find a product recommended for such use.
Mike

If you still have a problem, either the speedo cable may have gone bad or the gauge itself. Sometimes you can fix the factory cable by cleaning and relubing it. Didn't work for me, so I bought a rather expensive custom made replacement from Redline Gauge Works The Redline outer cable is vinyl, the cheap replacements are plastic and can melt.

If you replace the cable, you'll probably have to replace the firewall grommet too. I got a new one from Detroit Muscle Technology. You have to push the grommet over progressively larger sockets to get it over the speedometer cable head. With lube and a heat gun to soften the rubber, it can barely be done. Hope your hands are strong and your patience immense.

My grommet didn't shrink down tight over the cable afterwards, but it's turned out to be a nice spot to route extra wires through the firewall.

I tested my gauge by spinning it with a variable speed drill, and it appeared to be good. I've heard it's pricey to have them rebuilt.

If you still have a problem, either the speedo cable may have gone bad or the gauge itself. Sometimes you can fix the factory cable by cleaning and relubing it. Didn't work for me, so I bought a rather expensive custom made replacement from Redline Gauge Works The Redline outer cable is vinyl, the cheap replacements are plastic and can melt.

If you replace the cable, you'll probably have to replace the firewall grommet too. I got a new one from Detroit Muscle Technology. You have to push the grommet over progressively larger sockets to get it over the speedometer cable head. With lube and a heat gun to soften the rubber, it can barely be done. Hope your hands are strong and your patience immense.

My grommet didn't shrink down tight over the cable afterwards, but it's turned out to be a nice spot to route extra wires through the firewall.

I tested my gauge by spinning it with a variable speed drill, and it appeared to be good. I've heard it's pricey to have them rebuilt.
I spent $250 to get my 65 speedo rebuilt. Is that pricey? I wonder what my rebuilt knee cost.
Mike

The play shown in you video is not normal. Will the screw not tighten up?
I’ve sent two speedometers to Redline Gauge works in the last year. Is it cheap? No, not at all. Is worth it to have the speedometer work nice and smooth when I drive down the road, hell yes!

The play shown in you video is not normal. Will the screw not tighten up?
I’ve sent two speedometers to Redline Gauge works in the last year. Is it cheap? No, not at all. Is worth it to have the speedometer work nice and smooth when I drive down the road, hell yes!

Only the screw on the right, in the vid is attached to the housing it's tight. the other screw is also tight. But if it's normal, then I'm happy. I'm gonna wipe it all down with carb cleaner, a nylon bottle brush, and some q-tips. I'll grease it up and toss back together. If the cable no longer snaps onto the cluster, then I'll order a new one.

Auto Transport Service
Back