• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spring Fling Van Nuys rant

JMILL67

Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
The show itself was awesome! It’s more of a “big time” vendor rant at Spring Fling last weekend. In the swap area I saw some quarter glass at a decent vendor space. Guy had a lot of excellent parts and was well organized. The quarter glass pieces caught my eye because they had Laguna Seca decals which is near where I live. I asked what they were off of, I already knew they were 70 Challenger. He says E-body, “Challenger and Cuda”. $100 and walked away. I looked the glass over and he came back. I told him these were Challenger-only and he came unglued. He says, look, I’ve done a thousand of these things, they fit both. I then walked away. This was a 60’s-70 ish older guy. He was wrong. I wasn’t gonna argue with him. Can’t always rely on what the seller says.

Obviously he hasn't "done a thousand of these things". Sounds like the guy needs his own Youtube channel.

The problem is he’ll probably sell them to a naive person that needs them for a Cuda.

All the more reason why I quit going to shows and swaps because of just such an occurrence. They are getting to be really out of control and just a plain waste of time!!! IMHO...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

All the more reason why I quit going to shows and swaps because of just such an occurrence. They are getting to be really out of control and just a plain waste of time!!! IMHO...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

So if a person is selling them online on Ebay/Forum/Facebook and the ad says they fit all E-body, do you quit the internet?

Last edited:
A car club that hosts a show is in NO way responsible for the actions of the vendors or attendees of a show.
So a guy that was selling parts may have told you something that wasn't true...
B I G Deal!
Guess what? You'll met people like this all your life. The best that you can do is inform yourself or get a knowledgeable friend to join you when you're out looking for parts.

The show itself was awesome! It’s more of a “big time” vendor rant at Spring Fling last weekend. In the swap area I saw some quarter glass at a decent vendor space. Guy had a lot of excellent parts and was well organized. The quarter glass pieces caught my eye because they had Laguna Seca decals which is near where I live. I asked what they were off of, I already knew they were 70 Challenger. He says E-body, “Challenger and Cuda”. $100 and walked away. I looked the glass over and he came back. I told him these were Challenger-only and he came unglued. He says, look, I’ve done a thousand of these things, they fit both. I then walked away. This was a 60’s-70 ish older guy. He was wrong. I wasn’t gonna argue with him. Can’t always rely on what the seller says.

You didn’t deserve that response.

Hopefully you found some good deals in swap. If you did, you win.

I bet there were other 1/4 glass for cheaper if you needed.

A car club that hosts a show is in NO way responsible for the actions of the vendors or attendees of a show.
So a guy that was selling parts may have told you something that wasn't true...
B I G Deal!
Guess what? You'll met people like this all your life. The best that you can do is inform yourself or get a knowledgeable friend to join you when you're out looking for parts.
Yep. It wasn’t a big deal! To somebody new to the hobby, it would’ve been. $100 is still
$100 if YOU were the one ripped
Off. So, to the people that intentionally misrepresent what a part belongs too, they suck. As far as being uninformed, I’m very knowledgable, that’s why I knew this big time seller was full of it. Could I have made a big deal out of it at the show? Yep, but I’m a grown man. Everybody has their own opinion.

So if a person is selling them online on Ebay or in a Forum and the ad says they fit all E-body. Do you quit the internet?
I just find at shows mostly that more vendors selling parts are a Taco short of a Combo Plate when it comes to knowing what parts they have actually. They seem to assume that if it fits one body, it will fit all others. That is what I meant. As I no longer hunt for any car parts and through the Internet, as I do not currently have a vehicle that is needing of such, I still use it. When you inquire about parts at a swap, and the vendor gets bent out of shape at you, do you continue haggling with them or do you walk away? Asking for a Friend :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

There's been more than a few times I've had frustrating experiences with swap guys at the 'Fling, and also just about every other show.
When I'm standing at the table with money in hand, but they're too busy organizing their parts and talking to their buddies to ask me if I need something, I give them about 30 more seconds before I walk off loudly saying they "must be more interested in hauling parts around than actually selling them....."
I don't let that in any way, shape or form reflect on the show itself or the organizing group.

I just find at shows mostly that more vendors selling parts are a Taco short of a Combo Plate when it comes to knowing what parts they have actually. They seem to assume that if it fits one body, it will fit all others. That is what I meant. As I no longer hunt for any car parts and through the Internet, as I do not currently have a vehicle that is needing of such, I still use it. When you inquire about parts at a swap, and the vendor gets bent out of shape at you, do you continue haggling with them or do you walk away? Asking for a Friend :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
Taco short of a combo plate....that's a great one! :D
And I agree, like the James Gang lyric goes ..."I just turn my pretty head and walk away...."

Too bad the OP never met Daryl F****.
THAT guy pissed off a few that have attended the shows there.

I see way more scams on the internet.

At least in person you are in control. Finding out they’re a few tacos short of a combo plate is a blessing. Be thankful you get the opportunity to see their red flags up front. Online it’s too late when you get junk parts delivered, fake money orders, PayPal manipulation…on and on.

Online is full of fake posts, fake pictures, and complete scams.

I’ll take buying parts or cars in person over the internet every day.

Last edited:
More than a few decades ago some punk broke thru my 1/4 glass on my 68 X and stole my 8 trac player. Don’t remember where I got it but I replaced it with another - probably from a bone yard. I know I didn’t take it off the cadaver myself but noticed a very almost imperceptible difference when I put it on the car. I only paid $25 for it so always lived with that, which most people wouldn’t even notice. But I looked at it every single time I was on that side of car no matter the reason. It reminded me of what occurred and I couldn’t help looking at it as a little unrepairable defect. Sure I could have found another somewhere but never looked. Maybe the 69’s have a slight rise on the bottom of the 1/4 glass - I don’t know. Someone was giving one a way on here and I thought I would grab it for my buddy as a way to take care of that - but he preferred to keep nostalgia as it was. He likes all that history. Some of these parts, either between years or models have very slight differences that only most w/a lot of knowledge would recognize.

As regards the vendor at the Fling - I wouldn’t have busted a nut over it. I may have said a little something but probably not. More likely just to walk away thinking “what a f…… dick. On the other hand it would bother me too that someone w/less of an eye would get screwed out of a C note. But you can’t police everything for everybody. People are going to be what they’re going to be.

Last edited:
In all my years of construction and cars, There are countless times that I have ran into dipshits that say things like....I've always done it this way despite conflicting instructions, advisements, improper fitment, etc.
Some people are idiots and immune from common sense.
The best that you can do is know that and do your best to not be like them.

I trust on my own knowledge of parts that I need. Swap meets are still an important part of our old car hobby. It isn't like you can go to a junkyard for old parts anymore. What bugs me is when you see a vendor with overpriced parts that he would lug around for year after year to swap meets rather than sell them for a reasonable price.

Please change the title. Puts a bad light on a great show.

This has nothing to do with the spring fling in Van Nuys or the CPW club, it is a vendor problem. This BS happens at every swap meet.

You should have bought them to save a Cuda guy from losing $100

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back