• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spring is here and the epic battle of Eagle Yard has begun

eagleone1983

Local time
8:25 PM
Reaction score
This weekend was time to suit up, grab my shield, and unsheath a can of carb cleaner (made of Valarian Steel of course). I must hold strong and reclaim what is rightfully mine. With cleaner in hand and a steady aim no wasp will be left alive. Geez, I hate those damn things!

Sorry my wife has suddenly found herself addicted to Game of Thrones so I'm rewatching all the last seasons and thought about my battles this weekend. I found three nests but there are so many wasps around my house there must be more. Found the actual wasp spray just pisses them off and they tend to remember who you are. Carb and/or Brake clean kills them before they hit the ground. 6'2" 215lbs and runs from a wasp like a school girl if my aim is off.

LOL... yea, I can't blame you wasps are the worst... I've got 35-40 lbs on ya', I run like a little school girl too...

Years ago I ended up at a hospital from a sting to the forehead. It totally knocked me out. Within just a few minutes I knew I was in trouble and passed out before getting there and barely remember who took in. Yeah, I hate those bastids too! Had one fall on me recently (he was cold and couldn't fly) when I opened the garage door one day. It got closed up inside from the day before I guess and ended up in one of the windows trying to get out. It was cool overnight but he still managed to get his stinger into my forearm as he fell from the window as I opened it up. My whole arm swelled up. Didn't see him up there but I sure look now before opening the door these days.

yup Game of Thrones is a good series ,my happened to see me getting caught up earlier this year now she is addicted to it

I've only actually been stung by a wasp once. I was 14 and had just moved to AZ. Some neighbor kids knocked down a nest and on the swarm went right for me. I swear I saw that bastard in slow motion. He got me right on the eyelid, I looked like I had just fought Apollo Creed with my arms tied around my back. Oatmeal helped with the swelling but not the pain.

......got one up a pant leg a few years back and gave me a third nutt. I don't care who the hell you are, those little bastards'll get anything running.

I got a story for ya', my sister Candy & I were frolicking around at a park in-between the Clayton & Danville Ca. east bay area Mt. Diablo State Park, running down some game trails by Turtle Rock... My sister stumbled over a mud dabbers/yellow jackets nest, that was on a tree root in the dirt near the base of an oak tree... She got stung like 200 times or some crazy number, I got stung like 20 or so times IIRC, trying to get her away from the swarm, even thou I was right there, they were ruthlessly attacking her, I took of my jacket & beat the crap out of my poor sister trying to defend off the little yellow/stinging bastards, I put the jacket on her, they seemed to disperse, got her up allwhile trying to wipe off the mass of yellow jackets, then we just ran down to the camp/picnic area & my parents, threw us in the car {my moms car a 68 Sport Satellite383ci 4sp} took us to Kaiser in WC, my sister was going into shock by the time we got to the emergency room {she is deathly allergic now}, I just got a bunch of welts after all said & done, they put some ointment on me, pulled out what stinger that were left.... But she/Candy stayed overnight, they gave here massive doses of Benadryl/antihistamine & some steroid of some kind IIRC, the swelling went down almost immediately... Scary chit for a kid... I was like 10-11 she was like 12-13 y/o, hated them little bastards ever since, I kill them when ever possible... Been know to use many different things, including carb or brake cleaner too, I use to use my primer bottle, I used for firing my Alky FI Altered, filled with ERC 114 racing gas & then torch them little bastards... sorry

As long as they are still on the nest, I'm a pretty good shot with the wasp spray or brake wash but I've taken out a lot of them as they fly around the house with a badminton racket. Dirt daubers gave me lots of practice before going after the wasps lol. Seems that my shop has more than it's fair share of those damn things too.

Long time ago I was painting a house and had to take a spotlight off to paint around it. I was on a ladder, my face about a foot from the spotlight, took the two screws out, and was face to face with a wasp nest! I jumped from the top of the ladder and ran faster than I thought I could. Must have caught those buggers sleeping as I didn't get stung.

Had my 'Net parked in a wood shop for awhile. Every weekend I was home I would have to do a round around the shop and knock down 3 or 4 6" nests. Then go inside and kill a few more. Even now I am still knocking the mud nests off all parts of my car. The gas door was sealed shut with mud. Took 15 minutes just to get some of the mud out. I can't stand to mean bastards.

I catch em when the temps are cooler,early am, iirc 50 degrees or cooler = no fly. I load up a pump up type sprayer w dawn and water, heavy on the dawn. Blast away. Might take a few mornin runs to get em though. Long sleves taped up ready for a showdown. Took out a nest the size of a basketball, and one that had made a nest under the cowl of a parts car this way. Nasty bastards!

That's what I did was wait for the temps to cool down at early evening or just before it gets dark. Had 2 colonies living under the roof of our storage building. Brought some Raid wasp and hornet spray that you can fire from 20 feet away and sprayed it into the nest opening. They started dropping out of the hole by the dozens. Tore the mud nest down with a tree branch trimmer and haven't had a problem with them since. That was 2 years ago.

I kill them when ever possible... Been know to use many different things, including carb or brake cleaner too, I use to use my primer bottle, I used for firing my Alky FI Altered, filled with ERC 114 racing gas & then torch them little bastards... sorry

Growing up in PA, those yellow jackets made their nests in the ground, and one year when I was about 12 we found a huge nest in the yard of granparents' cottage in President, PA. My Dad got a five-gallon can of gas that had about three gallons of gas in it, poured the gas down into the hive, stepped back, and tossed his lit Zippo at the hole. The results were spectacular enough to draw the attention of a PA State Trooper who was driving by a half mile away. :) Flames, smoke, and a boom!

The Trooper showed up and there we all were standing around looking in the smoky hole. :) He asked what had happened, and my Dad told him. The cop said he hadn't thought of that, but would give it a try the next time he found a nest because there were no yellow jackets left alive.

Ive done the gas trick with large established colonies of ants, works great!

When I was about 7, I got stung by 5 or 6 big red wasps on my face! My face looked like I walked out of a "outer limits" episode.

Auto Transport Service
Back