• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sputtering upon acceleration exactly from 160 degrees

Have you checked the fuel pump push rod length for wear? Or checked the operating fuel pressure under both conditions?
Fuel pressure is six, as shown by my gauge on my fuel line before the carb. How could the push rod length make any difference during a specific temperature mark?
Interesting

Fuel pressure is six, as shown by my gauge on my fuel line before the carb. How could the push rod length make any difference during a specific temperature mark?
Interesting

Although your 6 psi at idle is a indication its okay, I would still check the fuel pressure while driving right up to the time it craps out.

If the rod is short, it can provide enough fuel to run, but it will be at sub normal volume and pressure while driving. The fuel will boil (vapor lock) at lower temperature because of the lower pressure. As unlikely as this seems, I've actually seen this happen once before.

There are actually other things you can check short of pulling the fuel pump to check for fuel to simply determine if fuel delivery is the problem. Usually the squirter will still have fuel available even if the bowls are near empty. So if giving it squirter helps to keep it running could indicate fuel. Also checking for fuel in the carb immediately when the problem occurs. Or reroute a temporary rubber fuel line around everything hot. The steel fuel line from the pump to the distributor sees a lot of heat if it's in its factory location between the head and alternator. Run a rubber line around that, as a test.

And it could be electrical, but I would run everything fuel related to ground first.

Last edited:
My vote,coil.
Could be also be condenser if point type ign.

Auto Transport Service
Back