• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 fuel issues?

sunbee1224

Local time
7:37 PM
Reaction score
Having an issue with what I think is fuel related.
66 Belvedere, 383 4 speed. Mild build. Performer intake, Holley 750 double pumper, mechanical fuel pump and electronic ignition.
Issue.....two weeks ago got gas, forgot to put cap back on took off and realized it rolled off car on to the street. Went around the block, pulled over left car running, grabbed cap put it back on and took off. Car ran like crap. Chugging and stalling. Hard to restart but would restart. Pulled into a parking lot died again. Got it going again definitely still stumbling over itself. Finally worked itself through whatever was happening and I was able to drive the 10 miles home with no issues. Drove a couple times, short trips, after with no issues. Last Friday, took for a drive. around 50 miles into the drive it started to rain. Pulled over to put the top up quick, left car running. Put top up took off and same thing happened. Stumbled all over itself died multiple times and finally was unable to restart the car. Should mention when car dies, all the idiot lights stay on. Car would turn over and if I pumped the gas enough I could get a little pop but would never run. Had it towed. Tried starting it the next morning, no go. Later that day, no go. Busy didn't get a chance to look at it. Finally last night, 6 days after the tow, I thought I would try it again. Took some convincing but it did start. Sat there and idled fine. Shut it off. Started right back up. Tried it this morning again, started right up. Haven't had a chance to drive it. Obviously there is an issue. Can a fuel pump act like that? Filter is nice and clean. If it was vapor lock you would think after sitting for 12 hours it would have started. Electronic choke? Bad gas? Suggestions? Thanks!

If it was running fine before you got gas and then had this issue, seems like bad gas. Have you pulled some plugs to see if they're fouled?

Yes. Running fine before I got gas. I have not checked the plugs yet. Thanks

Sounds like you got gas when station's tank was low & sucked up some water. Try a can or two of 'dry gas' to alleviate the water in your tank.

Thanks for the advice.
Just seems weird that if it was/is a bad tank of gas, why would it not run like crap all the time? Seems like I wouldn't have been able to drive roughly 100 miles from first stalling issue to when I had to get it towed home. Same gas the whole time.

Water settles to the bottom after a while. My guess is just the most obvious; could also be some crud picked up & floating around.

Many yrs ago a tanker driver pulled in after his shift with an offer of free gas( remaining gallons in the bottom that wouldn't gravity feed out of tanks so we grabbed 3-4 5gal buckets to save it for our cars. After about 20+ gals we started seeing metal filings in our bucket & I said "that's all we want" that bottom crap could've sat in there forever?!

Many yrs ago a tanker driver pulled in after his shift with an offer of free gas( remaining gallons in the bottom that wouldn't gravity feed out of tanks so we grabbed 3-4 5gal buckets to save it for our cars. After about 20+ gals we started seeing metal filings in our bucket & I said "that's all we want" that bottom crap could've sat in there forever?!
Yikes!

Hey it was free AND clean for awhile!! Those filings could have come from anywhere along the distribution line, including the tanker when manufactured; that's why there's fuel filters!

How low was the gas in your tank? Could be a combination of bad gas & sludge stirred up in your tank. Perhaps your filter was in good shape and now is clogged & needs to be changed.

Gas tank was half full when filled. New tank, sending unit and lines last year. Hopefully there isn't a bunch of junk in it already. Lol

The old rule was "don't get gas when the tanker is there dropping fuel or right after a heavy rain". When a tanker is dropping fuel all the sediment in the below ground tanks is getting stirred up.

I am thinking more along the lines of sticking float in the carb. Does it after driving then stopping to idle and flooding out?

The fuel filter may not filter out all the junk that can screw up a needle & seat or the carb circuitry. Bad gas also does very weird things that are really hard to troubleshoot.

Auto Transport Service
Back