• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Squeaky Steering

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
Thought I'd post about an odd problem in case one of ya's may have encountered this and have some advice: When my Plymouth gets a nice long run it develops a squeak when I turn the steering wheel more so turning it right than left; though will do it left as well. My '63 has power steering (factory) a rebuilt 318 with a firm feel box and TTI headers. I mention as those headers are really crammed in as anyone might recognize for a poly motor. It's a hollow sounding noise and reckon it's related to heat expansion causing possible loss of clearance somewhere; but not sure. I only notice it when the car is stopped; but could be occurring when driving it. Wondering if the headers could be contacting the steering linkage or some other issue with the steering box. Power steering works fine. I figure the only way to get a good inspection is to have it on an alignment rack. Only does this when car is good an hot. Anyone encounter this? Thanks

Noises are hard to track down. My 63 Valiant did much like yours. Mine was the turn signal switch. When it got good and hot the lube on the horn contact plate plate would thin out causing a squeal. Just shootin' in the dark here..

Noises are hard to track down. My 63 Valiant did much like yours. Mine was the turn signal switch. When it got good and hot the lube on the horn contact plate plate would thin out causing a squeal. Just shootin' in the dark here..
Thanks - yeah hunting down noises can be a bee-itch especially when it could be dozens of possibilities with as many moving parts...

Auto Transport Service
Back