• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SST Magnum 6 speed

Mad_Scientist

Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

FHO is working on a 572 Hemi to upgrade from my 440. I currently have an older TKO-600 that I bought from Keisler Engineering back in the day. The transmission runs fine and I love the overdrive. While I have everything tore apart, I'm considering swapping the 5 speed out for the 6 speed. I've been told the 6 speed has a shorter throw and better shifting. It also has a better torque rating than the TKO. Does anyone have any feedback on the 6 speed in a street/strip car? 69 Bee

Thanks,
Tim

I have both, a tko500 and tko600 5 speed in different cars. I think they are great transmissions. I have also driven a car with a Richmond 6 speed. That car with a 6 speed drove me to the 5 speed option. Not sure how close the Richmond and Tremic are in gear ratio spacing but man, it just felt like you were doing nothing but rowing gears. With a engine with low torque I could see the 6 speed a benefit but with a 572 you should have plenty of torque to pull the gear spread in a 5 speed. Just my experience but not exactly apples to apples.

I'm having a 572 BMP aluminum RB block TF270s heads engine built little by little, and I really like my Passon 855.
I'll be putting the "700 continuous Ft Lbs Torque" rating to the test.
If it fails, I am going to an option that I will hope not to ever fail. Jericho or G-Force have been my thoughts, but IF there is another 5 speed option, no doubt in a "high Stage _" version, I will consider it.
My best case scenario is the Passon handles the power, because it fits like a glove. Oh! And I already own it.

Hi all,

FHO is working on a 572 Hemi to upgrade from my 440. I currently have an older TKO-600 that I bought from Keisler Engineering back in the day. The transmission runs fine and I love the overdrive. While I have everything tore apart, I'm considering swapping the 5 speed out for the 6 speed. I've been told the 6 speed has a shorter throw and better shifting. It also has a better torque rating than the TKO. Does anyone have any feedback on the 6 speed in a street/strip car? 69 Bee

Thanks,
Tim
I love my T-56 Magnum! It’s the best of all worlds. Does require cutting lol! The 6 speed does have better shifting and a shorter throw but throw in a long pistol grip like mine and the short throw goes out the window. I used a quick time bellhousing. I did have to put a small shim on the upper starter hole to get it on the money. I used a McLeod Twin Disc RST. Uses the same pressure plate as the RXT but with your power I’d go RXT. Use a billet clutch installer also with that twin disc set up, so much easier to install.

Auto Transport Service
Back