• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter bolt

billy-jay

Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
I’m new to the 440 engine ..it came with headers and I can’t find anything to get on that lower starter bolt.it’s 5/8 but can’t get a wrench or socket on it.. it’s a mini starter..do I need to take header off..thanks

halfmoonwrench.jpg

If I'm removing my mini starter I'll drain the coolant level to below the header bolts/studs. The bolts/studs do go into the water jackets. (Use sealer when reinstalling. Permatex #2 or Brush on Teflon)

Remove the bolts on the exhaust flange down below so you can swing the header outwards. Loosen the header bolts or even remove the rearward ones to allow the header to move enough to access and remove the starter.

Good luck!

If you have the standard bellhousing you are missing the stud & nut. This is the proper set up and easier to install the starter. Many times the stud is missing because some one substituted it for a bolt years ago.
The stud is actually smaller on the side that the starter mounts to. This gives you more "wiggle room" to position the starter better and more access to the nut.

starter mounting.jpg

If I recall correctly I had several cars that came that way including my charger.

Aluminum heads have dry threads for the exhaust manifold/header bolts.
I have 2" TTI headers and starter removal is exactly what you'd expect. I have box end wrenches that are cut in half to fit up in there to loosen or tighten.
I use bolts.
I leave out the cover for the rear alignment cam so I can see through to the bolts.

I heated and bent a wrench in this same shape to remove the PS pump on my Cummins. Saved hous of work. Heated and bent wrenches many times to build what was needed. Must be the flat rate tech in me.
Doug
I've done that for the fuel injector pump. Big Cam 400. You know the one I'm talking about. 1/12 turn at a time. Ah the fun times.

I heated and bent a wrench in this same shape to remove the PS pump on my Cummins. Saved hous of work. Heated and bent wrenches many times to build what was needed. Must be the flat rate tech in me.
Doug
I have a few 'bent' wrenches too.....but was at a loss to get the starter screws loose on my 97 diesel. Just needed more umph. Someone else swapped the starter for me lots of moons ago and went to town on all 3 of them!

Flattened back of wrench for torque convertor bolts. Top of wrench pic 1 flat pic 2, less chance of rounding head of bolt.
IMG_2049.JPG
IMG_2048.JPG

I use a very long extension and a ratchet at the front of the motor.

Doug
I've got a load of bent wrenches too, handed down from my dad when he worked on Mercedes cars in the 1960s. Some were actual MB branded tools, still have the heat marks where he did the bending.

Auto Transport Service
Back