• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter location for small or big block, other differences

Kultin

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Question. Is a starter the same location in the engine bay between small blocks and big blocks? Pictured is my tight spot with a 340 in a Plymouth laser wanting to go to 440. From what I measured the differences is near the top of the motor like heads? Is the front to back length the same? Also pictured is spool type motor mounts, how can you tell if they are from small block or big block, didn't see numbers on the other set I have. Thank you everyone.

20231209_164714.jpg

20231209_164653.jpg

20231209_164643.jpg

20231209_164636.jpg

20231209_160416.jpg

they are the same starter and location.

OK the starter is in the same exact relative location and position in the engine bay regardless of what small or big engine there is. Do you know about the spool type motor mounts?

OK the starter is in the same exact relative location and position in the engine bay regardless of what small or big engine there is. Do you know about the spool type motor mounts?
sorry I do not.

Motor mounts don't interchange between SB and SB. If they are bolted up to your sb then thats what they are.

You got a Cut, Chop, and Rebuild project there.

No, they are not.
The Poly and LA series has the starter below crank centerline. B/RB is almost even and slant six is WAY above.

Last edited:
Poly and LA series:

AA 10.JPG

B/RB series:

AA 11.JPG

I take it as he means the general location of the starter, from side-to-side and relative location in the engine bay.

No, they are not.
The Poly and LA series has the starter below crank centerline. B/RB is almost even and slant six is WAY above.
That's what I thought, just double checking. Really trying to figure if a 440 is a easy drop in with this steering

I take it as he means the general location of the starter, from side-to-side and relative location in the engine bay.
Yes. The exact location in regards to the engine bay between the different motors. Trying to see if the starter is going to hit the steering shaft after going through the swap to a big block.

Motor mounts don't interchange between SB and SB. If they are bolted up to your sb then thats what they are.
So your saying, bb will only bolt up to bb and the same with sb?

Late B Body - Spool Mounts (1973 and Later)-store.440source.com
They make a adapter spool mount that allows a big block to fit where a small block was mounted. The big block mount sits back a little on the right side and is taller. On the spool mount Era of cars mopar used a different k member.
I think the starter location should be similiar. Both bb and sb engines can use a 727.
Can't really tell what starter you have, but there are some small mini starters.

A bb is suppose to be 1/2" longer then a sb. From my experience swapping there is less room for the fan. This chart doesn't list the b and rb separate. But a B deck height is 9.98 vs 10.725 for a rb. B engines can easily be stroked for more displacement in a more compact package then a rb.

Screenshot_20231210_045337_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
On the steering.... as long as your sector/gear box is in its correct location .You can use d shaft u joints and pillow block bearings to move the column shaft some.
Keep in mind you can't go crazy with 45 degree angles ect. But you can get some room if the D shaft is supported at each splice.
We used to do a little of that on 50s cars ect.
Speed Way Motors web sight has a ton of steering parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back