• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter not engaging

J. Cower

Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
Okay so back to the problem child... 71 SSP new 72 340 with original 904. Making a vibration noise that I was 95% sure was the flex plate rubbing that I posted about earlier. Just spent 7 hours changing the stock flexplate (which was rubbing) to a new B and M flexplate. Got her all back together and now the starter won't engage the gear. Starter works fine as I bench tested it. I did notice that the new flexplate moved the torque converter back some due to slight difference from stock one. So what now? Pull the tranny out and move ring gear or is there an aftermarket deeper starter you can buy?

Silly question, but do you have the flexplate on correctly?
As in, engine side toward engine.
Maybe it's not possible to orient it incorrectly due to the bolt spacing, but worth asking.

Spinning sound. And yes engine side towards engine as labeled. Bench tested and starter works as it should.

When you bench tested, did it throw the bendex outward ok?

Maybe double check the part number for the flywheel. I'm not up on small blocks. Is there different diameter flywheels by any chance?

Let me back up,

When installing the trans, was there a gap between the torque converter and flywheel? Then you had to pull the converter towards the flywheel in order to bolt it up? It should have came together without much effort. If the "snout" on the converter didn't fit the new flex plate and binded, that could be why you said the TC is back a little farther than originally. Or it could just be a difference in the design of the new flywheel and I don't know why they would vary.

Just throwing some things out there...

Is the "engine side" decal on the correct side? People make these!
Mike

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10230

This is the flexplate I used. Two sites said it would work with a 904 transmission and the holes to the inside do line up. It looks like the starter does not have enough room to go past to get to the gear on the torque converter..

Auto Transport Service
Back