• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting a poll on satisfaction of Mopar leaf springs...PLEASE RESPOND!!

Mocajava

Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
To all. This started about an inquiry into what the FBBO members have done about sagging leaf springs in their own cars and how I can apply that knowledge for my '69 Coronet. After many very useful comments and past histories it became apparent that there was some dissatisfaction with the Mopar HD Leaf Springs. I am told they are made in Mexico and sure enough inexpensive. I am asking fellow FBBO members to voice their opinions on what leaf springs they have used as a replacement (if any) and from which vender they purchase them from.
I am not trying to slam any particular vender or anyone's personal choice. I am just trying to discern which products better suit the quality and taste of the typical Mopar enthusiast. I will derive my own preference from this and probably go with the direction of the "herd" for my own build. Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond and I hope I have not stepped on any toes or offended the fellow members with my appeal. I am sure I will be corrected by the webmaster and other members if I have. Mocajava ( Freshman / Mopar U.)

I have the XHD MP leaf springs in my car. I installed them in 2006 and have put approximately 8000 miles on them since. They seem to be holding up fine, in fact I used 1 inch lowering blocks to settle the car to a stance that I wanted.

Attachments

• June 12 181.JPG
    June 12 181.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 582
Love the stance and a beautiful car! What rim /tire combo is that, it really looks good. Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think I had insulted this Forum with my request...1 reply out of almost 100 views. Nobody wanted to comment which made me think maybe I should end the post. I have not been part of a forum before and hope I haven't screwed up with this request. Mocajava

Really sharp Kern Dog .. what wheels are those. Haven't see them before

My leafs were soft but I liked my ride height and have heard so many stories about ppl buying lowered springs and still sitting to high. For the time being my solution was to add a set of Cal Tracs.. Keep the ride height exactly where it was and stiffen the hell out of my springs

I've had decent luck with the Mopar Performance stuff,
I like my rides a little low thou...

I've heard a few people complain both ways,
sits too high & too low

Can't comment on how long they last, I haven't bought any for a while now
{I read "Made in Mexico" on Mancini Racing site quite awhile back too, it is what it is}

I've had a few OE sets re-arched locally some too
Eatons were good for new springs,
sorry to say I'm not sure the best or where or who to get them from now...

I've added or removed a leaf here & there to get the ride height I wanted too
or cut them down even to free up lift or squat too

good luck

Last edited:
I have a 4 link on my GTX but I installed Hotchkis leaf springs on my Dart and they were awesome. Stiffer probably because the focus there is more towards handling for autocross than super ride comfort.

I installed custom springs from Just Suspension and don't recommend them to anyone, 1 side was an inch higher than the other and they wouldn't stand behind them. The worst people to deal with that I've ever experienced, they won't take phone calls only Emails in which they reply nicely but never do a thing.

After my restore, kinda resto-mod 68 RR, I noticed the rear getting lower and lower with one side lower than the other. Definitely the springs were shot. Car had air shocks on when I got it so I was none the wiser. Went with the Hotchkis leaf springs and sway bar package. So far very happy. Maybe not the cheapest route but it's good stuff. Springs are designed to lower about 1 inch.

I was with the same leafs that were original from the factory on my 68 GTX. They were starting to sag. Had custom springs built by Loftgren Auto Specialties in MN. They were very expensive and I don't think worth the price. I also added a set of leafs to both sides for more lift from Summit Racing. Loftgren knows his Mopars but vastly over prices everything he does. I was more,naive at the time.

Can only speak to the stance - right were I want it - vs. The ride. Still haven't had it out of,the driveway.

I put the Mopar XHD springs on both my Road Runner and Charger. I think they are fine and wouldn't want the cars to sit any higher.

Really sharp Kern Dog .. what wheels are those. Haven't see them before

Sorry for the late reply!
Intro "Twisted Vista". The company was in Southern CA when I ordered them in 2003. 18x9 front, 18x10 rear. 4 3/4 back spacing front and rear.
Thanks to all. I love the car but do not get to drive it as much as I'd like.

I installed MP HD rear springs in my '70 GTX back in 2000. Still sits nice just how I like it.

GTX small 2.jpg

That is a nice looking Plymouth!

That is a nice looking Plymouth!

No kidding!! I just put mine in the garage, what a thrill! I love that purple paint! i parked my GTX next to a 2014? charger R/T that was purple. WOW did the B-5 look great next to that purple and vice versa. i was so taken by it I didn't even think to take a pic...DUH!!!

Mopar Performance HD with 1 inch lowering block's and i believe one side has more leafs than the other for wheel hop or something with torque on the drive wheel
and i loved it ran like new !! also remember this was a street car..on my 65 satellite i'm running Cal-Tracs and there "Not for a street Car" Also i would replace your Torsion Bars

Last edited:
My leafs were soft but I liked my ride height and have heard so many stories about ppl buying lowered springs and still sitting to high. For the time being my solution was to add a set of Cal Tracs.. Keep the ride height exactly where it was and stiffen the hell out of my springs

I was going to do the same if I had hop but I don't so I have stuck with my old springs

- - - Updated - - -

No kidding!! I just put mine in the garage, what a thrill! I love that purple paint! i parked my GTX next to a 2014? charger R/T that was purple. WOW did the B-5 look great next to that purple and vice versa. i was so taken by it I didn't even think to take a pic...DUH!!!

Like that car in Avatar, if it is yours it is awesome looking

I have had good luck using the MP SS springs since the 70's and have the 3400 lb SS springs on my 63. I have always been pleased with them. Ron

362705709.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back