• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Station Wagons with Roll Bars

brian.linn

Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
I have been playing around with a 64 Savoy wagon cutting out rusty floors, beating rear fenderwells in and buffing the crap out of this thing... Anyway, I am gonna go the direction of street/strip car and I'm looking to do a roll bar.... But, I'm not sure how to do the roll bar, does anyone on here happen to have some pics of roll bars in wagons they can share? I am not going with a specific class of racing, so I am not sure about bar angles and limitations... I wouldn't think the car would run much faster then a 10.70 when it's all said and done... I also plan to use the back seat and utilize the rear fold own hatch to hide the fuel cell. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I would rethink this if you plan to use the rear seat. It will get complicated fast. One thing about roll bars in race cars, they generally require additional safety equipment, such as safety harness (with valid date certs) and seat braces with head pads. I have had street strip cars with roll bars and they can be problematic on the street if set up properly for the track (I can't tell you how many times I have banged my left elbow on roll bar tubes.)
I am just saying, consider the whole picture before you start.

I would rethink this if you plan to use the rear seat. It will get complicated fast. One thing about roll bars in race cars, they generally require additional safety equipment, such as safety harness (with valid date certs) and seat braces with head pads. I have had street strip cars with roll bars and they can be problematic on the street if set up properly for the track (I can't tell you how many times I have banged my left elbow on roll bar tubes.)
I am just saying, consider the whole picture before you start.

Yeah, I have considered that. I am looking for the NSS look.... I don't plan to run a full cage with door bars or snout bars. I am looking to do a hoop with some bars going to the back, possibly over the rear wheels where the frame rails are and all the way to the back tying in somewhere around the back door.

Last edited:
On a car like my 63 you only need a 6 point rollbar to run down to 10.0's with a stock firewall. Thats all I have is a 6 point bar as I did not want a full cage since I drive it on the street alot. But with the 6 point bar I have no problem with any of the bars getting in my way to much or being a hassle. It works nice for me and I can race in the NSS races when I like to. Ron

On a car like my 63 you only need a 6 point rollbar to run down to 10.0's with a stock firewall. Thats all I have is a 6 point bar as I did not want a full cage since I drive it on the street alot. But with the 6 point bar I have no problem with any of the bars getting in my way to much or being a hassle. It works nice for me and I can race in the NSS races when I like to. Ron

Thanks for the info Ron!

We did a basic six point roll bar in our altered, it would definitely interfere with your rear lower bench but maybe you could get creative with that spot to make a bench work. Roll bars in street cars seems pretty annoying to me but if it's a lok you are going for then do it. I might suggest the swing away down tube for the front doors so you're not climbing over a bar every time you get in or out. I documented all of this in my blog link below but it will be way back in the archives.

Pat thats why I only went with a 6 point rollbar as I wanted my car to be a street car but I like to race in the NSS class sometimes when I make it to the track and of course you have to have a bar to run under 11.50. I agree that swingouts make it easy as my buddy kept using his swingout bar on his drivers door but he never races the car. So I told him to just take the drivers swingout bar off while driving on the street which he did. Myself I did not go with a swingout because I wanted to get as much strenth out of my 6 point bar as it helps stiffen my car alot as I tied the bars into the unibody frame and as you can see its not to bad to climb over since I am not a big guy. I feel the rollbar stiffens my car more then the frame connectors do. And since me and most of my friends are in our 50's or older none of us are climbing in the back seat area so I did not worry about how much room was back there. Ron

407583081.jpg

Depending how fast your street/strip car will determine what bar is needed.You can get creative and keep the rear seat.

Attachments

• 3.29.13 011.jpg
    3.29.13 011.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 189
Auto Transport Service
Back