• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Box Replacement

j57little

Local time
3:17 AM
Reaction score
It's probably beyond my skill set, given that I don't have a lift, but I need to replace/rebuild my leaking power steering box. I know it attaches to the K frame and looks like a bear to replace, but I may need to go there. I've heard that you have to raise the engine to get it out. I'd just like to hear some pointers and pitfalls before jumping in.

Thanks!

I need help here also. Mine is out during a restoration. I want to keep my original so I am wondering if someone restores them?

Both of you need to check out Steer & Gear and Firm Feel on their websites. They restore the boxes (both manual and power) and have every bit of hardware you can't find elsewhere. To replace the box on my Satellite, I had to drop the center link, idler arm, pitman arm, motor mount on the driver's side (jack up the engine--driver's side only), and then it's just 3 bolts to the frame. Also have to loosen the steering column and detach it from the top of the box. Really isn't as bad as it sounds--good luck.

I remember removing and replacing my PS box on my 67 GTX many years ago, working from underneath. A bit of a pain but it should come out unless you have headers in the way or something.

Box mounts on k_frame with 3 bolts. All the rest is access & disconnect from column & linkage, disconnect pressure/return hoses. It's really a piece of cake job.

Auto Transport Service
Back